M9+ and Wifi device Capacity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-26 14:20:06
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi

I have a pair of M9+ decos with ethernet backhaul. These worked Ok, until lockdown when kids etc were home and hammering the wifi a lot more than normal. I also noted devices would drop off without explanation. Furthermore, I have noted an approx 7% loss in speed vs what I get when I connect directly to the modem (direct connection to modem vs direct connection to Deco M9 master unit).

My biggest concern is with the device capacity, having added even more thanks to Christmas. Would upgrading to more recent versions of the M9+ help (ie v1 to v2), or would it be better to move to an X20/X60 combo?

I have dabbled with the Amazon eero system, which alleviates most of the capacity and loss issues, but does not (yet) have the security (ie Dynamic DNS, parental controls etc) available outside of the US.

Options
2 Reply
Re:M9+ and Wifi device Capacity
2020-12-30 07:28:29

@Iconic 

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

May I know how many Devices that are connected to the Deco currently?

--normally within 30 clients should not be a problem.

Deco M9 plus v1 and V3 would not have a huge difference.

Deco X20 and X60 would be a little bit better.

And if possible, you could enable the guest Wi-Fi, and connect some of the clients to the guest network, especially the smart IOT devices;

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
Re:M9+ and Wifi device Capacity
2020-12-30 07:36:30

@TP-Link we have currently 10 iot (Alexa's, smart plugs, sonos etc); 8 wired devices (via gigabit hub) and 18 WiFi only devices.

You suggest using guest network for the iot stuff. I presume these are isolated from the main network. Would my phone control these, and would the Sonos still see the Nas box (to access the music library)?

I can't try the x60 as they are out of stock in the UK. What is the key advantage of the x20 Vs m9?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 603

Replies: 2

Related Articles