Parental control not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-27 22:27:14
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest

I bought the M4 set mainly to control bedtime for my kids. If I create a profile (e.g. with pre-definition Adult) with a bedtime setting of e.g. 12:00 p.m., I'm not able to use it. Because, as soon as I link the profile to a client, this client loses internet connection (connection with M4 host is still up). This problem happens to both a Samsung S7 smartphone, and iPhone 11 smartphone, as well as a PS4. Other clients (my own smartphone, as well as the smartphone of my wife) which have no parental control, keep their internet connection.

Then it takes me a lot of effort to get the internet connection on the afected clients working again: delete the parental control profile from the app, switch off the clients' wifi, delete the cients from the app client list, and finally reboot the main Deco.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Parental control not working
2020-12-28 11:09:25

@Gappie 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Before we forward your case to the senior engineers, could you please help me check the following information:

1. As long as the bedtime is enabled, or the parental control profile is saved, the devices under the profile would lose internet immediately even through it was not within the bedtime limit, right?

2. if the bedtime is not enabled, only choosing the time limits, would the same issue start again?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-12-28 11:34:33

@TP-Link 

1. Correct.

2. Seems like this is working correct. At least, clients do not lose connection immediately, like when using the bedtime restriction.

By the way, I already checked the timezone settings of the Deco router, and they are ok.

Thanks for your help.

Options
2020-12-28 20:08:24

@TP-Link Hello, unfortunately I was too soon being positive...

I set the wifi restriction to a wide period of 5 hours per day. It started ok, but after a while (I'm not sure how long, but absolutely within  5 hours) the clients lost their connection to internet.

Pausing the profile didn't help. The clients kept being disconnected, until I completely deleted the profile. Then they reconnected immediately!

Hope to hear some solution.

Options
2020-12-30 06:32:57

@Gappie 

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

We would like to follow up on your case by email and please have a check of your email box.

And could you please help me confirm one more details:

‘’The clients kept being disconnected, until I completely deleted the profile.’’, so they did not completely lose the internet connection, but having an instable  internet connection instead?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-12-31 08:55:22 - last edited 2020-12-31 08:58:18

@Gappie I have similar issue with my Deco M9 v2.0. I brough up my Deco on sunday 27 of Dec but I am not able to have the parental control working

@TP-Link 

SW version1.4.3 build 20200921 Rel 42500

Configuration is done in router mode

I created 5 different profiles with 1 device associated

- filters (to block illicit content) based on profiles are not working (blocked content by the profile are still accessible on the device associated to this profile)

- when trying to add specific site to be blocked, site is still accessible on the device associated to this profile

- Bed time is not working neither. I checked the time configuration via the Web GUI and it is NOT correct since date is on 2020-09-21 and time is not aligned with France time so when enabling bed time, internat connection is blocked immediately on the device since time is not correct

- I can not see internat activity per profile neiter...

Is it an issue with TP link server or issue with the Deco themselves. Deco are just new so if issue persist I will return them for sure and go with tha ASUS mesh solution !

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 961

Replies: 5

Related Articles