How to disable DHCP server on Deco X20 when in Access Point mode or any mode for that matter?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to disable DHCP server on Deco X20 when in Access Point mode or any mode for that matter?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-28 21:46:09
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Is there any way to permanantly disable the DHCP server while in access point mode on the X20?

The documentation says it should be disabled while in access point mode but occasionally it reenables DHCP and takes down our entire network.  The only way to recover and get it to disable DHCP again is to reset the deco to defaults and setup the wireless network all over again.

It seems to run fine for a few weeks then it happens all over again.

-Rob

Options
20 Reply
Re:How to disable DHCP server on Deco X20 when in Access Point mode or any mode for that matter?
2020-12-30 03:26:35

@dot-bob 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Currently, there is no permanent option to turn off the DHCP server on the Deco X20.

But it has been planned to add a DHCP on/off switch in the later firmware upgrade.

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
Re:How to disable DHCP server on Deco X20 when in Access Point mode or any mode for that matter?
2021-08-29 12:21:56

@TP-Link Hi - has this been resolved?

Are we able to use the deco x20 in AP mode with DHCP disabled?

I already have a router (freebox) and I don't want to turn-off the DHCP as I will loose most services (tv, phone...)

Thanks

Arnaud

Options
2021-08-29 14:23:49

@tpliiiiiiink 

As long as you router provides DHCP service, Deco in AP mode will have its DHCP disabled. 

I've been running my Deco mesh network in AP mode for over 6 months now, haven't had an issue even once. My ISP router provides DNS and DHCP services. Everything works as it should.

Are you asking your question, because your home network has issues with DHCP, or just because of many conversations you see on that forum on this topic?

Options
2021-08-29 16:06:11

@dot-bob 

It hasn't been resolved in firmware as I am aware...  It is pretty awful there is no way to disable DHCP completely.  The deco monitors DHCP requests and if one goes unanswered or is delayed it will start giving out IP addresses and changed the network defaut route to itself.  This causes issues on my network during power outages as the deco comes up faster then my router.  The deco starts handing out DHCP addresses on the network before the real DHCP server is booted and active causing conflicts and routing issues.

Also there are many routers out there that by default won't respond to DHCP request if it sees another device answering requests even if it is the authoritative DHCP server.  In this instance the deco takes over the network default route and doesn't know how to route traffic and all trouble breaks loose.

Options
2021-08-30 03:47:40

@dot-bob 

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Did your main router work like:” won't respond to DHCP request by default if it sees another device answering requests even if it is the authoritative DHCP server”?

May I know the model number of your router?

Thank you very much again.

Options
2021-08-30 06:31:52

@Alexandre. 

yes it's just I have been scared by all the threads around those issues.

i have 2 houses, Ethernet is running everywhere and we have a single internet connection. We have to use  the isp router to keep tv/phone...

for now we have like 6 different access points but I would like to merge with a single wifi.

no ETA on the firmware?

cheers

Options
2021-08-30 13:36:53

@tpliiiiiiink 

Simpler your home network layout is, lesser chances are you'll experience problems with that feature. 

Even if you do, there are often simple fixes to apply till firmware is ready to disable that feature. For example, @dot-bob complains of frequent power outages at his place. I would have recommended him get inexpensive UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and connect ISP Router to it. Not only it'll help router stay online during brief power interruptions, thus eliminating issue his network experiences, but it is actually good for router. Electronics does not like power drops and surges.

Options
2021-08-31 06:21:20

@Alexandre. 

thanks for your response. well if this simple feature hasn't been implemented in a year it tells a lot about tplink's support...

Options
2021-08-31 13:34:41

@tpliiiiiiink 

This is not really a simple change, judging from how deep it is embedded in Deco functionality and how it were designed to work. 

It is also possible that change was not high on the list of TP-Link priorities for Deco. If you read this forum, you might come to conclusion everyone suffers from it. Yet, check all negative Amazon reviews for Deco units - it'll be really hard to find there people complaining of "Smart DHCP" feature impacting their network.

I can also judge based on my home network. After I deployed Deco and run it in AP mode, my home network experienced Internet outages (ISP fault), there was once brief power outage in my neighborhood, and three times I moved ISP router around my house, powering it off but not touching Decos. 

I was curious why is that my home network does not experience those horrors of "Smart DHCP," which seem to plague others up to the point they have to delete and recreate their Deco mesh. I ran tests and found what it does, how it is triggered, and what makes home network recover on its own. Also, noted special cases that caused issues for others. Including one I learned last week and haven't thought of before: connecting Main Deco to ISP Router through powerline adapters with apparently not very clean from noise electric wiring.

Now that TP-Link released firmware 1.6 beta for M5, where "Smart DHCP" can be turned off, it is safe to assume this moved up in list of priorities and will come in firmware for other Deco models. Eventually.

Not sure if it is good for you, but if not - there is a large choice of different WiFi mesh brands. Networking equipment is not "one solution fits all," so buy it from the place with good return policy and send back if it does not work for you. Try something else.

Options
2021-09-01 00:12:42

@Alexandre. 

I actually have an UPS on the router supplying DHCP addresses.  Unfortunatly power outages here usually last 4-8 hours which is often beyond the UPS battery backup time.  So far I have had four long outages this year.  If they last too long I can fire up a generator but most of the time they happen at night during a wind storm.  The UPS actually causes added delay in the router comming up with respect to the Decos.  Now I only have one UPS only on the router and none on the Decos as they are spread throughout the house.

I use an OpenWRT router right now for a DHCP server which is set to be authoritive so it will answer dhcp requests wither or not there is another server on the network.  The problem is by the time it is up and running the Deco has already been handing out addresses and the devices that received the requests are now poisoned until the renewal timeout or often power cycle.  So every so often I wake up in the morning to find half the network acting up after a power outage.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5265

Replies: 22