How to disable DHCP server on Deco X20 when in Access Point mode or any mode for that matter?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to disable DHCP server on Deco X20 when in Access Point mode or any mode for that matter?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:How to disable DHCP server on Deco X20 when in Access Point mode or any mode for that matter?
2021-09-01 14:21:37 - last edited 2021-09-01 14:38:31

@dot-bob 

I have tested that same scenario. I have Deco mesh in AP mode. I powered off ISP Router and rebooted Main Deco. While ISP router is down, Main Deco provides IP addresses in the range 192.168.68.* with DHCP lease time of 1 minute.

When I turn ISP Router back on, network recovers very rapidly and seamlessly.

If your network needs longer to recover or does not recover at all, when authoritative DHCP server comes back online and Main Deco yields to it, there may be something else going on with your network. You may wish to take a look, or even simulate an outage and see what IP addresses your devices are getting, with what DHCP lease time, and why they can't recover quickly.

Screenshot from my desktop PC when ISP Router is down and Main Deco takes over after reboot. Notice Lease Obtained and Lease Expires:

Options
Re:How to disable DHCP server on Deco X20 when in Access Point mode or any mode for that matter?
2021-09-07 00:25:56
I've just wasted hours fixing my network after discovering this "feature" of smart DHCP when I changed my DHCP server. This is feature is anything but smart. It's a total mess. Please provide an update to allow people who know what they are doing to disable it. Apparently it is fixed in M5 so should be straightforward to do so in X20?
Options
2021-11-15 14:40:13 - last edited 2021-11-15 14:41:41

Same here.  I need to disable the DHCP Server so I can use a Windows DHCP Server for my lab setup to provide DHCP Scope options for network devices for Time Server, Time offset etc.  The Deco does not have the ability to do this and if they did, then problem solved but until then I want to temporarily disable it so i can use my Windows DHCP server to temporarily setup my endpoints.  I would be nice if Deco would allow us to turn it off or allow DHCP scope options.  Either would work and i would prefer scope options to be honest,

dot-bob wrote

Is there any way to permanantly disable the DHCP server while in access point mode on the X20?

The documentation says it should be disabled while in access point mode but occasionally it reenables DHCP and takes down our entire network.  The only way to recover and get it to disable DHCP again is to reset the deco to defaults and setup the wireless network all over again.

It seems to run fine for a few weeks then it happens all over again.

-Rob

that is a big ask.  Turning off DHCP would be easier.

dot-bob wrote

Is there any way to permanantly disable the DHCP server while in access point mode on the X20?

The documentation says it should be disabled while in access point mode but occasionally it reenables DHCP and takes down our entire network.  The only way to recover and get it to disable DHCP again is to reset the deco to defaults and setup the wireless network all over again.

It seems to run fine for a few weeks then it happens all over again.

-Rob

Options
2021-12-02 13:41:42

I installed the beta firmware and the issue is still there... in addition, IP-MAC bindings stop working as IP range is totally different now EVEN with Decos working in AP MODE (AP mode should honor master DHCP server)

Provide another solution as this is not the right way to work with... useless

Options
2022-02-02 08:42:02

@dot-bob 

Hi all!

Any news on this issue?

I think this is a bug in the product. DHCP server should Allways be disabled when in Access Point mode! Usually you choose AP mode because you have a router already and use that or another device to manage DHCP services on the network. 

Please TP-Link... Fix this!

The problem is not in the X60 product. This Should be fixed in the X20 version!

Kind regards

KStolten

Options
2022-05-13 16:56:08
Hello, I was so excited to get the DECO X20 as a replacement for the older TP-Link routers I had in my house. But, the impossibility of switching off DHCP is a significant problem now causing lots of issues in my network. With all respect, advices provided in earlier response were not helpful at all. I am sorry that I had to say it like this. Therefore, please, is TP-Link planning to fix this issue, or should I look to return the DECO set I bought back to the seller? Thanks in advance Egyd
Options
2022-05-16 08:26:36

@TP-Link 

Hello, it has now been over 2 years since you said "later firmware upgrade".

This is not a big thing to implement, it's a toggle switch on whether a process starts or not.

Seeing as this request has not been actioned in over 2 years (I have an X20-DSL), I am forced to return this unit and go with another provider for my mesh network requirements.

This saddens me.

-ak

Options
2022-05-16 11:06:54

@Egydko AubreyK

Welcome to the community and please have a look at this link:

Smart DHCP on/off option under Access Point mode

But there is no intention to disable DHCP under wireless router mode.

So do you want to disable DHCP under wireless router mode or access point mode and may I know why?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. Please spare a moment and help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-05-16 12:32:36

@rudyelrey 

This is exaclty my scenario.  I have my own dhcp server that provides specific scope options for devices such as my NTP server, time offset and provisionig server option 66, 160 and 161 for telephones and video endpoints in my lab.  If the Deco X20 had those then it would solve my issue but i doubt a commerical router would ever implement this level of DHCP control.  Simple solution, ALLOW US THE OPTION TO TURN OF DHCP!!!

Options
2022-07-25 05:48:58

@David-TP 
Not having a web interface, means it very time consuming to manage static DHCP allocations and it's too limited.
So I need to run in AP mode, which is crippled.

David-TP wrote

@Egydko AubreyK

Welcome to the community and please have a look at this link:

Smart DHCP on/off option under Access Point mode

But there is no intention to disable DHCP under wireless router mode.

So do you want to disable DHCP under wireless router mode or access point mode and may I know why?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. Please spare a moment and help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options