How to use TPLink router with my ISP router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-28 22:07:35

I asked tech support. They said to ask the ISP. They sad I need to make a modem.

My ISP is BT (in UK).

The router they supply cannot be made into a router (I searched on the net).

Any ideas.

I can't be the first one to have this issue?

Options
7 Reply
Re:How to use TPLink router with my ISP router?
2020-12-29 01:51:52

@enginestarter 

Do you mean the old router provided by BT is a modem only device, it cannot work as a router, and you want to purchase a wireless router that can work with that modem? May I have the model number of that BT modem first? Then we will check if you can purchase a wireless router, thanks.

Options
2020-12-29 02:45:50

@Kevin_Z thanks for the reply.

It's the opposite to what you have said, I have a router that I have read you cannot turn the router function off and make into a modem.

I just had a look and the model I have is 'BT Smart Hub'.

Let me know what I can do.

Thanks.

Options
2020-12-29 06:08:38

@enginestarter 

I see, so how do you want to do with the BT Smart Hub? Do you want to buy another router to replace it, or you want to purchase one that can work with it? If you want to keep the BT Smart Hub, but want to buy another, you may look for the wireless routers, such as Archer A7 or TL-WR940N, but you may need to turn them into an Access Point to avoid double NAT issue in the network.

How to turn the wireless router into an access point, click here for more details.

Options
2020-12-29 16:34:48

@Kevin_Z Thanks for the replies

I've spoken to BT

They recommended getting a model/router.

I have options of: TD-W9970, AC1200 Archer VR400 or AC1600 Archer VR600 V3

Or... would you recommend Getting an Archer A7 and using as an access point?

The Archer A7 is really highly rated.

The modem routrs have mixed reviews.

QUESTION: what are the modem routers equivalent to?

For example, the Archer VR400, is that equivalent to the Archer A7?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Options
2020-12-30 01:00:38

@enginestarter 

Nope, the modem router such as VR400 or VR600 is a combination of a DSL modem and a wireless router (such as Archer A7 or TL-WR940N), I guess you will need to connect to a telephone line and that is why BT suggest you purchase a modem router. If that is the case, only an Archer A7 will not help you connect to the internet, you will need a modem, so you may choose the modem router such as VR400 or VR600:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/

Options
2020-12-30 01:58:28 - last edited 2020-12-30 02:00:36

@Kevin_Z I'm now sooo confused 😕 

My main purpose is to get parental control - so I can give a restriction of 2 hours usage in a time period - like 10am - 9pm say.

This (very simple) option is ONLY available in more advanced models like the A7.

I looked at the manual for VR400 and VR600 - both have the old parental controls.

I need a modem router that has the newer parental control like the A7 has.

OR... all else failing... should I buy the A7 and use as an access point?

I can maybe block access to the ISP router and ask all to use the access point for internet - where I can apply controls?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Options
2020-12-30 11:40:58

@enginestarter 

I don't think so, when the Archer A7 working as an access point, it will not give you the option to configure Parental Controls. Check the difference between the router mode and access point mode:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2420/

If you need the Archer A7 and want to use the Parental Controls on it, you need to configure it in router mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1165

Replies: 7

Related Articles