Archer C6 V2 EU dropping WIFI and LAN on PCs, but not on mobile devices?!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-28 22:36:20 - last edited 2020-12-31 17:04:44
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20201030 rel.60104(4555)

Hello,

my Archer C6 is randomly dropping fixed (LAN) and wireless (WIFI both 2.4 and 5GHz) connections on PCs (three PCs in perfectly fine condition).

WIFI connection on mobile devices (both 2.4 and 5) works perfectly though?!

When the connection drops, the PCs show 'no internet connectivity' and the connection (wired or wireless) is dropped. Indication led's on router don't change, they all remain green as if the everything is perfectly fine. The solution is to reset the router and to wait the thing happens again randomly (within 30, 60 mins or so no rules) which is very annoying and frustrating.

I tried changing the UTP cable going from my providers switch to C6, no effect.

Had a latest firmware 1.3.6 Build 20201030 rel.60104, changed to beta 1.3.6 Build 20201030 rel.60104(4555). No effect whatsoever, everything remains just as same as before.

This is no ordinary issue as the router does not have a problem with WIFI, but with every type of connection ONLY on PCs.

Any solution other than throwing it in garbage?

I have a static IP and optic fibre internet connection. I'm using three USB WIFI sticks of different manufacturers along with standard LAN cards for wired connections.

The router was purchased 2 months before. It was running OK (with occasional glitches that were solved by simply restarting the PCs but not the router itself), but the problem gotten worse a couple of days ago since I mounted it on the wall close to power outlet and the fuse box in my apartment (it shouldn't matter or are we talking gremlins here?!?!).

Any suggestions?

I could provide logs and pics of installation if needed.

Cheers

PS

I've checked with ISP and their switch is functioning properly. They say it is something with the router

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 V2 EU dropping WIFI and LAN on PCs, but not on mobile devices?!-Solution
2020-12-31 17:04:33 - last edited 2020-12-31 17:04:44

Problem solved by replacing the Archer C6 router with no-name one which works straight out of box as expected.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C6 V2 EU dropping WIFI and LAN on PCs, but not on mobile devices?!
2020-12-29 01:41:10 - last edited 2020-12-29 01:41:47

@Tarmiricmi 

Hi, agree with that the power outlet or the fuse box shouldn't affect the router connection to PC2, while you mentioned the problem gotten worse since you mounted it close to the power outlet and the fuse box, it is suggested to put it in another location to avoid any interference.

If this doesn't help, please help check more details:

1. When there is no internet on the three PCs, are they still getting the correct IP address from the C6? BTW, are the three PCs losing the internet at the same time?

2. Try with different cat 5e or cat 6 cable between the PCs and the C6 LAN, ensure the connection is good.

3. Login to the web UI of the Archer C6 and go to Advanced-system tools-system parameters to edit the duplex, change it to 1000Mbps full-duplex if you have a gigabit adapter on the PCs, then reboot the router.:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2472/

4. You are also suggested to update the driver version of the wireless adapter on the PCs.

Options
2020-12-29 12:38:08

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that the proximity of the router to the power outlet and/or fuse box is an issue.

I did nothing else other than opened the box door onto the C6 is attached. It is mere 20 cm apart from the switch and maybe 30 cm from power outlet. Since then (couple of hours ago) I got no interruptions on all of three PCs.

I'll test it more and post the outcome but as the things stand now, it seems to be the most probable thing.

Strange.

Options
2020-12-30 01:06:10

@Tarmiricmi 

Good try. angel 

Options
2020-12-30 14:22:42

I've put the C6 one meter apart from fuse box&power outlet where it was before, connecting it to another power outlet.

So proximity issue doesn't matter now.

Disconnected all wired connections.

Restarted router to manufacturer's settings and reconfigured it again (with latest beta firmware kept unchanged).

The issue still persists. Again, on mobile devices, WIFI is running smoothly (both bands).

On two PCs I am getting same connection drops as before. I have to reboot router and PC to get it connected again.

Those are Windows 10 fully updated PCs (both OS and latest drivers), with tested hardware and antivirus. Third PC is a laptop which I don't use too often, but it does seem that the connection is a bit better there,

I'm using three USB WIFI adapters, Asus (2.4 only), TP Link and third one is no-name (both bands). But since I got same issues when I connected through wired, the driver issue of WIFI adapters is for sure no issue here.

I do have fairly similar configurations on those PCs, using same VPN for instance. IPv6 disabled on all three PCs. I have used those PCs on another locations/connections/providers with same configuration without any problems.

Now some answers:

1. When there is no internet on the three PCs, are they still getting the correct IP address from the C6? BTW, are the three PCs losing the internet at the same time?

They are NOT losing the Internet at the same time. Yesterday one PC got disconnected while another functioned perfectly (it was on wired connection). I had to reboot router in order to connect first PC again. Today, on WIFI, 2 PCs lost their 5 GHz connections, one of them could connect to 2.4 one though?! When client disconnects, the PC is getting correct IP address from router, but no Internet, and sometimes it states 'Can't connect to this connection' - when using WIFI, not wired.

2. Try with different cat 5e or cat 6 cable between the PCs and the C6 LAN, ensure the connection is good.

I think this is irrelevant as I've demonstrated the behavior is the same with wired and wireless connection. The UTP cable is newly purchased yesterday.

3. Login to the web UI of the Archer C6 and go to Advanced-system tools-system parameters to edit the duplex, change it to 1000Mbps full-duplex if you have a gigabit adapter on the PCs, then reboot the router.:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2472/

No effect whatsoever.

4. You are also suggested to update the driver version of the wireless adapter on the PCs.

Already using latest versions.

So it seems that it is the router thing, whether hardware or software (firmware).

Windows Troubleshooter on one PC client has suggested/detected following:

Options
Re:Archer C6 V2 EU dropping WIFI and LAN on PCs, but not on mobile devices?!-Solution
2020-12-31 17:04:33 - last edited 2020-12-31 17:04:44

Problem solved by replacing the Archer C6 router with no-name one which works straight out of box as expected.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 920

Replies: 5