Deco M9+ with multiple rooms, swtiches and powerlines. Help needed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-29 19:37:33

All

Thank you thus far for all the help in answering my questions. The more I'm learning the more I think I can put together a robust network. Currently every device in the house is via Wi-fi. This is what led me to the M9+. However, I'm starting to think of other setups and curious if this can work.

I have (3) rooms that I would like to wire via ethernet (if possible). I just can't do it direct to main router because of distance. Each room has a desktop and a gaming system (ie PS4). Can I run a powerline (single port) in each room connected to an ethernet switch so that I can run cables to both the desktops and gaming systems? Any issues with this setup or degradation of bandwidth beyond expected with that many devices (not sure if this is considred too many switches or powerline devices)?  My thought is if I can move more of our data hungry devices to wired, then the better. We have high speed Internet. 

Can I do this setup? Any changes you would recommend? FYI...I'm not a network tech so probably would just go with unmanaged switches.

Main Setup: Cable Modem > Deco M9+ > TP Switch > TP Powerline

Bedroom 1: TP Powerline > TP Switch > Desktop and Gaming System

Bedroom 2: Same as above

Bedroom 3: Same as above

** The remaining (2) Deco M9+ devices will be placed throughout the house for the Wi-fi mesh

All in all, the entire setup would be about (4) TP Swithes and (4) TP Powerline devices.

All other devices would just be wi-fi (ie phones, Alexa, Roku TV, Ipads)

Thank you so much!

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ with multiple rooms, swtiches and powerlines. Help needed
2020-12-30 02:06:47

@Pikes 

Hi, the current set up is ok.

And one more suggestion,  some powerline adapters have more than one Ethernet ports so if there are no more than two wired connections, we do not need so many unmanaged switches.

For example,

ISP cable modem—Deco M9—TL-PA8030P~~~TL-PA8030P(each of them have 3 Ethernet ports)

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa8030p-kit/

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
Re:Deco M9+ with multiple rooms, swtiches and powerlines. Help needed
2020-12-30 07:24:33

@TP-Link 

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I would love to go that route, however the TL-PA8030P is quite expensive @ about $200-230 online (and I would need 4 of them). I did see other powerline (dual port) from TP that are more in my price range. I would only be connecting 2 devices per powerline anyway (like the TL-PA7027P KIT AV1000 or TL-PA9020P KIT AV2000)

However, for now, it sounds like you believe my original setup will be OK if I have to resort to that setup.

Another alternative (and maybe within my budgets) would be to do this setup potentially:

Main:  ISP Cable Modem > Deco M9+ > TP 5 port switch (to allow a printer, PC and Samsung Hub to connect via ethernet) > TL-PA9020P KIT (2 port kit)

Bedroom 1: TL-PA9020P KIT > Desktop and Gaming System

Bedroom 2: Same

Bedroom 3: Same

How does the alternative setup sound?

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 775

Replies: 2

Related Articles