TP Link AC2100 on FTTP (BT Openreach) but sky fibre as provider [UK]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-31 17:45:52

As the title says, I have fibre direct to the home (FTTP) which was originally installed by BT Openreach and BT Infinity as the internet provider. I have changed internet provider to Sky and the Sky Q hub (which replaced the BT homehub) connected into the BT Openreach fibre modem (ONT) via WAN ethernet cable. No issues with connecting to the internet. Now the Sky Q hub isnt great for a number of reasons, so I upgraded to a TP-Link AC2100 with the view of connecting into the BT Openreach modem via WAN (same as previous Sky Q hub). Essentially I will be using the new TP-Link as a wireless and hardwired router. The existing BT Openreach Fibre modem is already connected into the phone line, so for set up I wont be requiring it to operate in DSL mode (I don't think anyway). I presume I will need sky login details if setting up in WAN mode in order to log into Sky's internet service? Been a long time since setting up a third party router, as since 2007 I have always just relied upon the ISP's router. But one thing is for sure, the quality of them is getting worse, hence my new TP-Link purchase, (TP-Link was my weapon of choice in the early to mid 2000's). The photo below is an example of the BT Fibre modem which the TP-Link would be connecting into but how to get it to connect to the internet is another thing. 

Any pointers to send me in the right direction would be a great help. Most things I have found online assume there is no intermediate BT Fibre modem and plug straight into the phone line, using default parameters for Sky(MER)_VDSL set up. To be fair, I did try plugging this router/modem direct into the phoneline to see if I would get a DSL light but nothing anyway. Cleary lost my networking mojo over the years using ISP OEM equipment. 

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:TP Link AC2100 on FTTP (BT Openreach) but sky fibre as provider [UK]
2021-01-01 07:38:16

@Signum-GB 

Not sure if this will help but in the quick setup menu on the VR2100, the select ISP tab has a choice of either Sky(MER)_VDSL or SKY_VDSL, maybe the latter for FTTP?

Dave

Options
2021-01-01 09:35:50

@DGS 

Thanks Dave. Did some further reading last night. If I had a FTTC connection I would set the unit up as a modem/router connected direct into the phone line which would illuminate the DSL light on the unit (Sky_MER VDSL option). with the generic sky fibre login details. 

However, as I have a FTTP connection via a BT Openreach Optical Network Terminal (ONT) I have to connect through this using the WAN port on the TP -Link connecting into the LAN on the ONT via ethernet cable. In this configuration, the instructions suggest to set up as a wireless router using PPPoE credentials and this is where I get stuck. As I have found contradictory information regarding sky fibre and PPPoE. In the UK, some forums say they don't use it and others do. But then the existing Sky Hub connects into the ONT via WAN so I guess I need to understand how it authenticates a connection through sky for the internet to work. 

Cheers 

Options
2021-01-01 09:54:28

@Signum-GB 

Sent you a DM with a link that might have some relevant information

Dave

Options
2021-01-01 14:06:31

So it would seem to configure the TP-Link for FTTP to work on sky fibre via the openreach ONT, I need to set up as a wireless router and configure to IPv6/DHCP. Would anyone here know how to do this? 

That's what I see if I start the set up as a 'wireless router' which is what I pretty much want as the ONT acts as the modem. 

Options
2021-01-01 14:27:09

@Signum-GB 

There are some vague instructions in the manual for the VR2100 which you can get from the downloads page, see section 4.5 More Operation Modes on page 18.

Dave

Options
2021-01-01 21:34:40

@DGS What I have done for the time being is piggy back the sky hub over WAN (dynamic IP) which is in effect what I want to do with the Openreach ONT but doing this doesnt work. So, more or less using the Sky Hub to authenticate my internet connection onto the fibre network. If I were with BT as the ISP on the fibre FTTP, then I could use PPPoE with the generic BT credentials to get online. May be a case of waiting until my Sky fibre contract expires (I was originally with BT when I first moved in) then returning to BT. 

Options
2021-11-22 10:51:21

@Signum-GB 

To get it working on Sky would require running wireshark and capturing the log in credentials to add to to your TP-Link and setting up as PPoE.

Anyhow, assume you have that working now, so I would like to ask about the speeds to you have aceived with your 2100 on the FTTP before I go ahead and pull the trigger. Is it realising what you expected it to?

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5498

Replies: 7

Related Articles