Computer in ISP router net vs rest of devices deco’s net

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-03 21:50:09 - last edited 2021-01-04 02:17:13
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have a box at the entrance of my house, where the ISP router is located, and five Ethernet cables that go through to the house to the rooms. I have connected two Deco M4: one in room A, another in room B.

When I configured the two Decos, a new wifi network was created. So, I addded all the wireless devices to this new wifi network, like the printer.

The problem comes when I connect my computer located in room C by wire to the ISP router. Therefore, the computer is connected to the ISP router network, and the printer, so all the rest of devices, is connected to the Deco network. So, I cannot connect the printer with the computer wirelessly.

I don't have a clue how to solve this.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Computer in ISP router net vs rest of devices deco’s net-Solution
2021-01-04 02:16:54 - last edited 2021-01-04 02:17:13

@jotemo87 

Hi,

Thanks for your time and patience.

Since Deco M4 is working as a wireless router as well, it would create a new IP range.

Please refer to this link to change M4 as an access point:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1842/

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Computer in ISP router net vs rest of devices deco’s net-Solution
2021-01-04 02:16:54 - last edited 2021-01-04 02:17:13

@jotemo87 

Hi,

Thanks for your time and patience.

Since Deco M4 is working as a wireless router as well, it would create a new IP range.

Please refer to this link to change M4 as an access point:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1842/

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Computer in ISP router net vs rest of devices deco’s net
2021-01-04 12:31:35

@jotemo87 

You have two options to make it work: run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, or attach computer to Main Deco.

1. Run Deco mesh in Access Point mode

If you only need Deco to improve WiFi coverage, you don't need to run it in Router (default) mode. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode and every device will be on the same network, as a result.

2. Attach computer to Main Deco.

If you already use second port on Main Deco, you'll need to get gigabit switch for ports expansion, 5-8 ports switch can do. They are not expensive, especially 5-port switches. Make sure it is gigabit, because 100Mbps switches are still sold. 

Connect switch to second port of Main Deco, connect to switch Ethernet cables from computer and from what was connected to second port of Main Deco before. You now have computer as a member of Deco network, as well as printer. They should see each other now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 399

Replies: 2

Related Articles