Home Network Guidance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Home Network Guidance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Home Network Guidance
Home Network Guidance
2021-01-04 12:22:45
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

Having some network issues at home. So initially i was having Sky Q mini issues constantly disconnecting from the main Sky Q box in the Main Room as according to Sky Forums the Q mini's do not connect to the BT internet, but actually connect directly to the main Sky Q box via its own Wifi mesh. So i purchased the TPLink Gigabit Passthrough Powerline adapters to take Wifi completely out of the equation and have a wired connection to the main Sky Q Box. This seems to have done the trick for the most part, however I am having a problem briefly when the 2nd Sky Q mini box turns on in the 2nd Bedroom, it seems to disconnect the Sky Q mini in Bedroom 1. Also last night the Sky Q mini in Bedroom 2 just froze completely.

The Wifi in the house is now very stable in all rooms via the BT Wifi Disk and the TP-Link RE650 AC2600 Universal Dual Band Range Extender, or at least seems to be..Very strong signal and the Amazon Firestick in Bedroom 2 is very stable

The Sky Q Mini in Bedroom 1 was stable all day yesterday after deploying the TP-Link TL-PA7017P KIT 1-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline. Issues only arose when the second SKy Q mini box was turned on when my partner went to bed last night

I assumed or at least hoped that connecting the 2nd Sky Q mini box in Bedroom 2 directly to Universal Dual Band Range Extender via ethernet would give me stability

My current setup is the below

Main Room

BT Router

Sky Q

TP-Link TL-PA7017P KIT 1-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline connected to BT Infinity Hub via ethernet

Hall

BT Wifi Disk

Bedroom 1

TP-Link TL-PA7017P KIT 1-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline

Sky Q mini connected directly to Gigabit Passthrough Powerline via ethernet

Bedroom 2

TP-Link RE650 AC2600 Universal Dual Band Range Extender,

Sky Q mini connected directly to Universal Dual Band Range Extender via ethernet

Any guidance or thoughts on what the issue is & any possible resolutions? I have considered buying another TP-Link TL-PA7017P KIT 1-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline from Amazon, but i can't seem to buy just one adapter, it only seems to be in a 2 adapter kit.

Guidance would be appreciated

Regards

John

Options
3 Reply
Re:Home Network Guidance
2021-01-04 16:46:02 - last edited 2021-01-04 16:47:08

@Camege 

Hey John

Happy new year to you, from what you describe it sounds all to familiar! 

I constantly have customers reporting SkyQ not working on wireless be that connected to extenders, directly box to box or via router.    Appears to be when some boxes are wifi and some wired like you have, It just seems ropey at best!

Honestly, I hardwire these via homeplugs or cables every time and it just sorts the issue, usually disable the WiFi mesh on them too.   You dont have to buy a matching pair for your current ones either, any AC2 model will work (1200 / 2000 range) but I would stick TPLink rather than mix vendors.  I would check ebay as quite often people in the same positiion as you will sell the spare plug as a single..

best of luck

Phil

Options
2021-01-05 07:50:20

@Philbert 

Phil,

I need something in the Bedroom to give me Wifi as well as connecting the Sky Q Mini in Bedroom 2.

I was considering the below which i am hoping meets my needs hardwiring my Sky Q mini via powerline and also providing Wifi, which i assume will be stronger as its also via powerline instead of mesh, whats your thoughts? :- 

AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Extender

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8631p/

Thanks for the response so far and your thoughts?

Regards

John

Options
2021-01-05 14:43:44

@Camege 

Hey John

That would do perfectly, could be a good choice for you

Both powerline and mesh have limitations on speed, and in a good scenario AC WiFi mesh could match powerline in raw throughput... However powerline is a lot more stable and reliable overall and as you are going to run TV its the better option imho.   

Sky plugged into the powerline and a spot of WiFi like you are suggesting would be my choice yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 646

Replies: 3

Related Articles