Advice on Powerline Product selection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-07 10:53:44 - last edited 2021-01-19 14:47:16

I'm new on here and looking for some advice. I have a wifi router in one room and I struggle to get WiFi in other places of the house. I have used a TP-Link TL-PA717 powerline adaptor to connect a PC in another room via ethernet which works great and i'm getting 200mbps speeds. Is there any kind of add-ons that can use the same TP-Link TL-PA717 that I already have connected to the router and just connect to the same uplink? and potentially act as a wifi repeater or something? That way I can potentially put a few in different rooms?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Advice on Powerline Product selection -Solution
2021-01-19 14:05:17 - last edited 2021-01-19 14:47:16

@john2k 

Hey John

Yeah it will come with the default   TPLINKxxxx SSID

Just a matter of logging into the device and setting the LAN address as needed, I would recommend setting this manually on the device.  Personally I go with 192.168.x.254 / 253 something like that.   Just easier in long run if these are static and yes the WiFi plugs have IP addresses unlike the standard ones.

Once done copy the wifi config from the router and set it manually on the homeplug, all you need is the SSID, password and security settings (WPA2 likely).   This can be done via browsing to the IP address and logging in.  Devices will authenticate against whichever has the stronger signal, just remember to choose a different channel.   I had 3 of them on different channels with the same SSID / Password and it worked reasonably well, never going to be as good as a controller / AP setup but ideal for home use, just easier if all 3x are broadcasting the same SSID

I would recommend against using the clone ssid feature provided on some of the plugs, this sets the security as WPA/WPA2 AUTO  and IOS14 devices report this as insecure.   Manually setting this for WPA2 AES fixes that, just incase you have IOS devices.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Advice on Powerline Product selection
2021-01-07 16:25:27

@john2k 

Hey John

You could replace the 2nd homeplug with one that has WiFi capability, something like the TL-WPA8630p would suit..

However..if you wanted better wifi all round you could go for a EAP225 / EAP245 Access Point and connect it to the Homeplug.. This would give you excellent WiFi in the other room, however you would need to WiFi enable your PC (or buy a cheap switch £15).

The EAP225 + a cheap wifi card / switch    may work out the same or even cheaper than the TL-WPA8630p

Options
2021-01-18 17:41:11

@Philbert thank you for your reply. Apologies for the late reply been hectic and busy week. Is it possible to expand on the existing TL-PA717 that i have? because before this i tried the 600MBps one at i wasnt able to get above 100Mbps on the ethernet. And I still need ethernet on the other end. I like the idea of the TL-WPA8630p but this seems like a kit again, can I not just buy the receiver and use my existing sender? So with the TL-WPA8630p it seems like the receiver has wifi and ethernet so will I be able to use it as ethernet and a wifi repeater/hotspot? Can multiple plugs from different models of the TP link be plugged in to receive the ethernet signal that is being uplinked from the broadband router?

Options
2021-01-18 18:09:10

@john2k 

Hey John

Yeah once you go over the 1000mbps plugs they will all work together so just buy any one you need.   As you say sadly these do come in pairs you may find that you have a spare plug at the end (we all do lol)

In relation to the WiFi enabled ones, yes you can plug into the LAN cable for the desktop PC and use wireless also.   I had the same plugs and was able to get 10-12 devices connected with no issue.

In relation to the 100mb lan speeds, its likely due to the 600mpbs plugs having 100mbps LAN adaptors, most at the 1000mbps you have are 1GB now.  This should not be an issue for you

Options
2021-01-18 20:23:59 - last edited 2021-01-18 20:52:31

@Philbert thank you

Will the AC2600 product work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Extender-Broadband-UK-RE450/dp/B013SYHHI2/

Does the RE650 AC2600 wifi require it to be conneted via WiFi to the original router wifi? as thats not something that will be possible as the room I want to put it in has no signal from my wifi router.

If I was to buy two of the AC2600 and plug one in to upstairs room that needs ethernet and Wifi and use the other one downstairs for ethernet and wifi too. And have both of these working from the single TL-PA717 that is already plugged in to my router? Will that work? They are both TP Link products. are they compatible with each other.

Options
2021-01-18 23:22:02 - last edited 2021-01-18 23:24:46

So it seems the AC2600 isn't really what I'm after because it acts as a repeater which requires it to be joined to the original WiFi. But seeing as I'm sending ethernet from my router over powerline, I probably need it to be an access point but it seems it can only be an access point if I connect it to the routers ethernet. Which means I would have to use the ethernet port of my other powerline to uplink to it and then I will lose the ethernet port.

Will something like the TL-WPA7510 work for my scenario? And will my TL-PA717 work with this?

Options
2021-01-18 23:32:14 - last edited 2021-01-18 23:33:38

@john2k 

Hey John

Being perfectly honest, try to avoid repeaters unless totally necessary as they give more hassle than most others.  Your best option is simply another homeplug with WiFi

TL-WPA7510  is a good choice, yes!

Meant to add yes it will also work :)

Options
2021-01-18 23:54:14

@Philbert thank you. Much appreciated. I'll get myself a TL-WPA7510. Currently I have the two plugs and I didn't have to press pair. If I add another two from the WPA7510, do I need to pair them or is it plug and play? How does pairing work? Which device do you pair to? 

In terms of the WiFi signal that the new plug will create, I'm assuming it will be another network SSID but I could give it the same name and password of the main house WiFi so my devices just connect?

Thanks again 

Options
Re:Advice on Powerline Product selection -Solution
2021-01-19 14:05:17 - last edited 2021-01-19 14:47:16

@john2k 

Hey John

Yeah it will come with the default   TPLINKxxxx SSID

Just a matter of logging into the device and setting the LAN address as needed, I would recommend setting this manually on the device.  Personally I go with 192.168.x.254 / 253 something like that.   Just easier in long run if these are static and yes the WiFi plugs have IP addresses unlike the standard ones.

Once done copy the wifi config from the router and set it manually on the homeplug, all you need is the SSID, password and security settings (WPA2 likely).   This can be done via browsing to the IP address and logging in.  Devices will authenticate against whichever has the stronger signal, just remember to choose a different channel.   I had 3 of them on different channels with the same SSID / Password and it worked reasonably well, never going to be as good as a controller / AP setup but ideal for home use, just easier if all 3x are broadcasting the same SSID

I would recommend against using the clone ssid feature provided on some of the plugs, this sets the security as WPA/WPA2 AUTO  and IOS14 devices report this as insecure.   Manually setting this for WPA2 AES fixes that, just incase you have IOS devices.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-19 14:47:34
Thank you very much. Much appreciated.
Options
2021-01-19 22:55:05

@Philbert one last question, I'm a little confused with all the model numbers and codes. So looking at the package pictures online for the TL-WPA7510 KIT. The box says AC750 and AV1000. Is the AC the wifi speeds and the AV the speed of the ethernet port on the powerline? Will both the plugs that come in this kit be able to support 1000Mb speeds? So when I plug in the TL-WPA7510 wifi enabled plug into another room and connect ethernet from it to my computer, will I be able to get speeds above 100Mb? Like i mentioned above, I currently have the TL-PA717 which gives me over 200Mb on speed tests and before that I had the TL-PA4010 which was limiting me to 100Mb so I don't want to have that issue with the TL-WPA7510 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1124

Replies: 11

Related Articles