Help picking powerline adapter for Virgin M200 gigabit internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-08 16:53:02

Hi, we've just had M200 internet installed from Virgin. Wifi has always been a bit of a problem in this house, so I want to try a powerline adapter for my desktop PC, which I use for gaming. Details on M200 are here: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds 

I want a powerline adapter that has passthrough, and can utilise the internet speeds. I've seen several posts on the internet talking about needing to upgrade their powerline adapters after installing M200 internet (such as this one: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/M200/td-p/4343370). I just want to make sure I buy the right one from the start.

1 port would be fine I think. Please would someone be able to advise the best one to buy? 

Some powerline adapters have 'gigabit' in their product info, but as outlined in the second link, I'm just cautious because older ones seem to say up to 600 mbps and it doesn't hit that due to the speed of the ethernet ports.

It's all a bit confusing!

Looking to spend around £50 I think.

Thanks!

Ben

Options
1 Reply
Re:Help picking powerline adapter for Virgin M200 gigabit internet
2021-01-10 02:10:28

@BigDaddyGishath 

Hey Ben

From experience you average around 30/40% of the advertised speeds on the plugs, roughly similar to WiFi throughput but you do have the advantage of a more stable connection.

For example I have the TL8010P which are 1300mbps, really I get around 400/450mbps off them (hallway to bedroom)

As you are likely to have 200mbps coming into plugs, the TL-PA4010PKIT (600mbps) would be a risk, its gonna get you around 250mbps area, not much wiggle room to be honest, also only has a 100mbps port as you mentioned.

The TL-PA7010PKIT is 1gbps so should get you 350/400mbps real speeds, also has a GB LAN port so this would be a better option.   Price is coming in at £60 on Amazon UK (big long link below), bought these last year and they where the same price.. dont ever appear to be on sale price either.

If ££ is an issue look at the Tenda PH6 instead, they are £31 however the chipset in them isn't as good and their firmware is basic as hell.  Personally I would recommend the TP Link stuff every time if budget allows.

Link to TL-PA7010PKIT on amazon..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required/dp/B06VW1WCCD/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1QAY33JTDOGN&dchild=1&keywords=tp%2Blink%2Bpassthrough%2Bpowerline&qid=1610243754&sprefix=tp%2Blink%2Bpass%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-1&th=1

Options