Stability and speed issues with P9/P7 netwwork

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-15 14:03:47
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

Hello,

I started with a set of three Deco P7's about a year and a half ago. The system worked well for a while but then I started having connection issues in rooms further from the base Deco. I've since added two P9's hoping to boost performance, but I'm still experiencing difficulties. Our home consists of 4 floors and with concrete construction, so it's very challenging to provide wifi service to the whole home. The network is mapped as follows:

-> P7 (basement)

modem -> ASUS router for VPN -> P9 (main Deco - 1st floor) 

-> P7 (2nd floor bedroom 1)

-> P7 (2nd floor bedroom 2)

-> P9 (3rd floor)

I've updated to the latest firmware. However, the 3rd floor P9 was added after this update, so I'm not sure if that one needs to be updated as well.

Speeds and connections are nearly flawless on the first three levels, but the third floor is consistently problematic. I normally get speeds between 70 - 95 mbps on the lower levels. On the 3rd floor it fluctuates between 5 and 40. Today the third floor P9 lost connection and I had to remove it from the network and reset it multiple times to finally get it to reconnect. My wife has her home office on the 3rd floor, so it's important that I get a consistent signal there. I've set her PC to high priority.

Is there anything I can do to improve speeds, particularly to the 3rd floor? Are there any settings I can adjust? Any input would be appreciated!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Stability and speed issues with P9/P7 netwwork
2021-01-16 12:01:25

I've confirmed that the 3rd floor P9 is updated to the latest firmware by removing it and temporarily establishing a new network with it. I've now reset it and added it back and it seems to be working for the time being, I was able to get a speed of around 50 mbps in that room, which is acceptable.

Are there any known issues with using P7's and P9's together? It's my understanding that the P9 creates a better powerline connection, which is why I'm using those for the main Deco and the one furthest from it. Is this correct?

Options
Re:Stability and speed issues with P9/P7 network
2021-01-21 12:58:49

After a few days of stable operation the 3rd floor P9 lost connection to the mesh network and would not reconnect even after repeated restarts. After fussing with it for about an hour trying to get it to reset in order to add it to the network it's finally back online. I'm fed up. Can anyone recommend a better system for my application? Thanks.

Options
2021-01-22 03:39:50

@BjoernB 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Thanks a lot for your detailed information.

For your case, may I know all the Decos work on the access point mode, or wireless router mode?

Have you ever checked the type of the backhaul between the satellite Decos to make sure they are all on the powerline backhaul?

--please click the middle internet global icon and on the next page, click each Deco to check the signal source;

By the way, when the 3rd floor Deco lost the connection, would it become red

Have you try to swap this one with other P9 or P7 to see if the problem follows the Deco or the specific location?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-22 08:07:35

@TP-Link 

-They are set up in router mode. I'm using the parental control feature and would like to keep this function. Would access point mode result in better performance?

-Yes, when the system is working the PLC indicator in the app is on for each Deco. The wireless connection is weak, usually yellow on the third floor.

-Yes, when the 3rd floor Deco loses connection it flashes red. On of the second floor P7's recently did the same thing, though the P7's seem to be easier to reset.

-Originally I had a P7 on the third floor and it was also inconsistent. I was hoping the P9 would offer a better powerline connection. It's certainly a tricky location.

My main frustration is that I can't seem to get this system to work consistently. It will work well for a few days, then a unit inexplicably malfunctions.

Thanks!

Options
Re:Stability and speed issues with P9/P7 netwwork
2021-01-27 13:43:02

I went ahead and ran an ethernet cable up the exterior wall of the house to connect the 3rd floor Deco directly to the main router. While it's not an elegant solution, I wish I had done this sooner. Instead of adding the wired Deco to the mesh I set it up as a separate network, which the app allowed me to do easily, and now I get full ISP speed up on the third floor. And since our kids are locked out of that new network they won't be able to suck up our bandwidth like before. I think the lesson here is that there are limits to what a powerline mesh system can do, especially in tall concrete structures with lots of users, and once you bump into that limit you just have to find a way to run some wire.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 540

Replies: 5

Related Articles