Wired Deco M5 reverts to Wifi signal source "Unavailable for current firmware"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-16 20:08:42
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804

Hoping somebody can help with this. I have my Deco M5 network set up in Access Point mode. I am trying to set up Ethernet backhaul but whenever I connect the Deco to my ethernet network, it shows the Signal Source in the app briefly as "Unavailable for current firmware" and quickly reverts back to Wifi connection. I have updated to the most recent firmware so I am not sure how to address this issue.

This happens with multiple ethernet cords that I have tried and it even happens when all three Decos are plugged directly into my router. They still revert to Wifi signal source even when connected over ethernet and plugged directly into my router.

My router is the G3100 router from Verizon Fios if it helps.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Wired Deco M5 reverts to Wifi signal source "Unavailable for current firmware"
2021-01-16 20:59:24

@rwitt 

Start with two Decos, your Main Deco and one of Satellite Decos.

To check that it is not Deco hardware issue, daisy chain them like this, with short Ethernet cables of good quality:

Satellite Deco should report Ethernet backhaul. 

If it does, power Satellite Deco off, plug it directly to the router with the same cable it were connected to Main Deco, power Satellite Deco on. You'll have it like this: 

Satellite Deco should report Ethernet backhaul again. If it does not, check again if your run your Deco in Access Point mode. You said you do, but according to TP-Link (and based on how I run my mesh) that must work.

Also, if above failed (no Ethernet backhaul), I would suggest rebooting smartphone with Deco app to check if after reboot Deco app indeed reports Access Point mode. Had some issues with Deco app reporting stale info, that were only fixed by rebooting smartphone. Just closing and opening app didn't fix that.

Options
Re:Wired Deco M5 reverts to Wifi signal source "Unavailable for current firmware"
2021-01-17 16:15:54 - last edited 2021-01-17 16:26:59

@Alexandre.

Hi, I have connected one of the satellite Decos directly to the main Deco as recommended and it seemed to successfully connect over Ethernet that way. However, for my use case I need them connected to the router and when I attempted to reconnect the satellite Deco directly to the router using the same ethernet cord and port it briefly flashed the "Unavailable for current firmware" message I have gotten previously before switching back to Wifi connection even though it is connected to the router. See the attached image.

I have also confirmed and re-confirmed that I am in Access Point mode.

And note again that it only briefly flashes the Unavailable for current firmware signal source before reverting back to Wifi connection

File:
IMG_5966 copy.pngDownload
Options
2021-01-17 17:01:40

@rwitt 

Appears to be a conflict between Deco and your router, from what you have found. Additional proof is that your router described as "Verizon G3100 WiFi 6 Mesh Router" on the Internet, meaning it might be using same protocols for mesh and they conflict with Deco mesh.

Here is what might be a hint to where a problem is, from the different forum discussion, for DLink switches:

"Deco adopts the IEEE 1905.1 standard protocol to create the Ethernet Backhaul network. When Ethernet backhaul is working, Deco will disconnect the Wi-Fi backhaul to avoid the network loop issue.
However, we find that some D-Link switches won't forward the IEEE 1905.1 packets, causing that both Ethernet and wireless connections between Decos are working at the same time, which resulting in a network loop, causing the whole Deco system becomes unstable."

The options you have are:

1. Check Network page of a router, it should list all devices connected to it, perhaps there will be a hint to why Satellite Deco can't keep Ethernet connection to router.

2. Consider escalating to your ISP tech support, perhaps you are not the first one with Deco mesh (or other mesh) and they know what settings, visible to you or internal on router, to change to make it work.

3. Workaround. If you have one of Decos right beside router and this does works:

then I would suspect the following network layout will work, too:

and if it does, connect cable that goes to second Satellite Deco to switch instead of ISP router. You should see Ethernet backhaul on your second Satellite Deco, too.

Also, if all your Decos are far from the router, you can just buy one additional M5 and make network topology as above (test it first, with the switch and all three Decos of yours). You may find the cost of a single extra Deco unit is less than time you'll spend on your efforts in finding other solutions to that issue.

Options
2021-01-17 17:16:57 - last edited 2021-01-17 17:17:22

@rwitt 

One more option: check with your ISP if they offer less advanced routers, without mesh support, and if they can "downgrade" your router to less advanced one, by hardware swap.

Options
2021-01-17 18:29:13

@Alexandre. 

I checked the Network page of the router and it shows all 3 Decos connected over Ethernet, which is not possible as one of them is not connected to ethernet at all and the one that is plugged into the router shows a Wifi signal source in the Deco app. (I suspect the router shows Ethernet as the connection because it is primarily connected to the Main Deco through ethernet and the other Decos are communicating wirelessly through the main Deco).

(I am not sure if the IP addresses and MAC addresses are sensitive but I am opting to hide them as a precaution)

Thank you for your help. Returning or swapping the router is not an option as it is a very good router with features that I do need. If I cannot make this work it is much more likely I will return the Deco units.

Options
2021-01-18 11:11:47

@rwitt 

Hi Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Sorry for the delay.

When I checked on the user manual of the Verizon Wireless G3100,  it seemed like it does not support IEEE 1905.1 standard protocol

Which Deco used to create the Ethernet backhaul.

So currently, if the Deco units are only used to create wireless mesh network, you could consider only connecting the main Deco to G3100, then add a un-management switch behind the main Deco, then connected the rest of the Decos to the switch.

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1174

Replies: 6