Problem using remote connection - Archer AX50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-20 08:36:38 - last edited 2021-01-20 08:39:20
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(4555)

Hi, 

I bought recently a new Archer AX50 to replace my old ISP router(also TPLink). I wanted a modern device to ensure smooth working from home.

Unfortunately, the new one works worse than the old one. There are some interruptions or maybe package delays when working through remote connection. I'm using Citrix for that purpose. It happens on wi-fi. And I don't mean that it losses connection. No, the connection is OK but the stream is not. I can experience this even when scrolling some page, it frequently freezes and after a moment(sometimes a whole second or even more) the page jumps up or down. This never happens with my old router, so I'm sure the problem is the new Archer AX50.

I tried a lot of router configurations and found that this becomes resolved(or at least significantly improves) when switching off WMM Feature. The problem here is that obviously this way I can't use the full capabilities of the router and the connection speed drops significantly.

Please review the problem and give me advise. Otherwise I'll have to throw away this 'new modern' router because it becomes useless to me.

Thanks in advance!

Options
12 Reply
Re:Problem using remote connection - Archer AX50
2021-01-20 11:16:04

@m_b 

Its a failed product, return as soon as possible.

Check community you will find lot of issues, related to  Heating, no WPA3 support, no OneMesh support.

Options
2021-01-20 14:05:34

@Ashish14 

Unfortunately, returning is not an option. The retailer doesn't want it back.

Should I regret deciding to buy TP-Link?

This device is not even doing simple tasks, what about if I increase the load by some gaming or 4K video. 

Options
2021-01-21 06:55:58

@m_b 

Hi, as per your issue description, it seems there was an issue when you use the remote Citrix connection from home, is there an issue with the local network? What I mean is, what if you do use or connect to the Citrix remote server, is the connection normal with the AX50?

Can we have more details about the speed decrease before and after you disable the WMM on the AX50? Try to disable the QoS on the AX50, you can go to Homecare page-QoS on the Tether app, check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.

Options
2021-01-21 09:11:28

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

I don't think that I have local network issue, as I said with my old router everything works perfect without any special settings.

On AX50 QoS and High priority are disabled.

Approximate speeds are:

enabled WMM - download 60 Mbps, upload  40 Mbps

disabled WMM - download 6 Mbps, upload  8 Mbps

When disabled WMM internet browsing is slower, but I guess this is due to the downgraded speed.

Options
2021-01-22 02:00:35 - last edited 2021-01-22 02:01:39

@m_b 

Thank you. When the WMM is disabled, the negotiation speed will be limited to 54Mbps, so this may affect the actual speed you can get. BTW, what is the model number of the old TP-Link router?

What if you connect the computer to the AX50 with an Ethernet cable, then connect to the office network via VPN, will the connection is good? 

If the issue only happens on the 5G connection, can you please modify the 5G wireless settings as below?

Options
2021-01-23 18:01:12

@Kevin_Z 

The issue happens on 2.4 Ghz connection. 5G is disabled because my notebook doesn't support it. I also tried Smart connect but the issue is the same.

My old TP-Link model is TL-WR740N.

Options
2021-01-25 06:59:12

@m_b 

Thank you. Have you tried my previous suggestions to change the 2.4G wireless settings? You can choose 802.11 b/g/n mixed instead.

Options
2021-01-25 08:43:56

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, I tried the suggested settings but they don't have any positive effect on the problem. 

Options
2021-01-29 07:33:12

@Kevin_Z 

Any suggestions?

Options
2021-07-28 09:05:18 - last edited 2021-07-28 09:08:31

@m_b I bought an AX50 last week and when started working on monday ran into the same issues. In my case the PC is connected using cables, so the problem is not Wifi related for me.

The Citrix session just stops reacting to keyboard and mouse, the output still works (clock in the session keeps getting updated).

Everything else also keeps working: spotify works fine, browsing still works on my PC, etc. Only the citrix receiver stops sending keyboard and mouse events.
This same PC has been used for the past months to do the work and everything worked fine, but I wanted to upgrade the Wifi network for my other equipment... the old netgear didn't do that the way I wanted. But I think I will have to return the TP Link and go back to my old netgear if I want to get any work done...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1917

Replies: 12

Related Articles