Deterioration of signal in second domestic circuit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-21 15:08:11

I live in a Victorian property (plenty internal brickwork and lath & plaster) that has four floors including a basement.  My modem/router is in the basement close to an external wall rather than centrally situated.  This is so I can have a short RJ11 cable connecting to my landline master socket.  
My broadband is supplied through fttc but as my property is some way distant from that cabinet the BEST download speed I can record is about 25Mbps.
I have a standard single phase supply to the property that splits to supply two consumer units (circuit breakers), hence two 'circuits'.  One 'circuit' is protected by RCD, the other is not.  For a good number of years I have been introducing the output of the router into a power socket on the NON-RCD PROTECTED 'circuit' as that's what is nearby.  Together with a number of wifi and LAN adaptors) and the wifi from the router I have covered the property to my satisfaction.
Recently I installed a smart TV into a new location and attached it to an adjacent adaptor using a shielded RJ45 patch cable.  It's hopeless!  The speed fluctuates between 15 and 0 Mbps.  This adaptor is plugged into a socket on the RCD PROTECTED circuit, so to get there the signal has to pass through the RCD circuitry in the other consumer unit.  That would not be the case if the signal were introduced via a RCD PROTECTED socket.  Could this be a reason for the problem?

Also,if I were to take a SECOND patch cable from the router and introduce the signal through another adaptor to the RCD PROTECTED circuit could this provide a solution?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deterioration of signal in second domestic circuit
2021-01-21 19:23:54

@Toddy 

In short answer there are 2 things that will cause mayhem with Powerline adaptors

RCB connectors and seperate circuits..

If honest, you may be best routing all you can via plug to plug using the non RCB circuit as you indicated.     Have you considered a mesh setup with the APs directly above eachother on the seperate floors?  

Neither solution is going to be great for you if honest..

Options
2021-01-21 20:31:11

@Philbert Thanks for your prompt, helpful, but somewhat gloomy, response.  I will give it some thought.

What I think you are really saying is "move house"! smiley

Options
2021-01-21 21:15:25

@Toddy 

Sorry...  smiley

Been there myself if its any consolation! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 289

Replies: 3

Related Articles