Cannot get desktop/ethernet to access internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-22 08:58:16
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: latest

Heya all,

gee, I hope someone can help me, I spent over an hour on chat with TPG support but they couldn't solve my issue either; and I think its going to be a "you're a moron" moment for one of you. I should add me being the moron, not support. They were as helpful as they could be. I'm in AU if that helps. 
So, brand new M5 mesh system. Existing router/modem kept crapping out on the wifi. Have placed the old device (Huawei 659) into bridge mode, and set up the wifi network. It could not have gone cleaner. Great integration. All of the wireless devices in the house were up and running in no time, with solid DL and UL speeds across the board. 

But ... I cannot for the life of me get my desktop running. The ethernet is plugged directly into the main Deco, which itself is wired into the Huawei on LAN1. I changed adapter settings to automatically configure DHCP and DNS, and I can see from ipconfig that the new network has updated the desktop IP. I can also ping the Deco, but cannot ping Google DNS, for example. ipconfig also tells me that the default gateway has been set, and that it is the same as the wireless devices in the house. 

Is this perhaps a VLAN issue, or .... ? 

I have two other wired devices (Philips Hue and a Raspberry Pi running AirPlay), but both of them only require the internal network, and they work well (very well, I might add). 

Argh... The frustration is setting in ... 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Cannot get desktop/ethernet to access internet
2021-01-22 10:05:48

@todjh 

Could you please check if the VLAN for IPTV has enabled or not?

--it is under the More>advanced>IPTV/VLAN

--if the internet service needs Vlan, you only need to enable the internet VLAN and put the VLAN ID;

--once the IPTV Vlan is enabled, the other Ethernet port from main Deco would have no internet service for other devices.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-01-22 10:09:10

@TP-Link VLAN/IPTV is disabled 

Options
2021-01-22 10:15:39

@todjh ok, so, I checked my ISP and it appears they do require VLAN. 
so, this means that I cannot have a wired Ethernet connection? 
It doesn't solve the issue then - as the wireless connections work very well without the VLAN being enabled. 

Options
2021-01-22 11:09:58

@todjh 

Hi,

I guess except the Deco, you have one more router and Deco is connected behind this router via Dynamic IP connection?

But since the wireless is working fine and IPTV is disabled, it should not be the problem.

Could you please help me draw a picture of your network structure about how are these devices connected?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-22 21:33:52
Options
2021-01-22 21:36:34 - last edited 2021-01-22 21:38:21

The modem is in bridge mode, with all WLAN turned off through the web interface. All wireless devices have internet access, and I also tried the other wired devices (Philips Hue/Raspberry Pi); these devices also work well, but then, they're only using the internal network. This morning, I removed the Deco, and reset up the Huawei into modem/router config with WLAN on, and all devices (incl the desktop) have internet access again. Clearly, not the solution I want! lol

Also, in answer to your above query, the Deco is connected not via Dynamic IP but PPPoE.

Options
2021-01-22 23:54:13

@todjh its working. frown

I have no idea ...

My workflow, for anyone else stuck on similar, was this:

turned off Deco

re-established WLAN and WAN via the Huawei

confirmed internet access via the Huawei

checked ethernet settings (auto DNS/DHCP)

bridged Huawei to Deco, and turned off WLAN settings on Huawei
checked network connections via the Deco app

made sure that VLAN/IPTV was disabled (it was - default setting)
plugged in ethernet from desktop to Deco
bingo

so, everything that I'd done yesterday ...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 729

Replies: 7

Related Articles