Best solution for 3 Powerline adapters for rooms upstairs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-22 14:15:50 - last edited 2021-01-22 14:22:28

I have some doubts and would be very grateful to get any expert advice:

I live in a relatively small 2-storey house in London.  I’d like to plug a Powerline adapter (or more if at all possible, this is my main doubt) to my router downstairs and then 3 extenders to the 3 rooms upstairs.  The rooms are right above, one-room-after-the-other, no distance between them.

My concern is:

If I just use an adapter downstairs and 3 paired extenders for the 3 rooms upstairs, the bandwidth will be split in three, which I don’t like.

Would it be possible to get two (or three) adapters connected to different Ethernet ports on the router on different wall AC outlets, each connected to corresponding extenders upstairs?.   What’s the best way to do this?

I would connect to WIFI or Ethernet upstairs.  So I’d get the WIFI+Ethernet extenders with AC passthrough.

This is my hardware:

Virgin Media Hub 3.0 router with a 200Mbps (download) broadband ISP contract (Fiber broadband).  This a newest router with Virgin Media, I heard it’s their flagship router.

I’m thinking of getting:

TL-WPA8630P Powerline KIT

AV1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit

Regards

Antonio

Options
6 Reply
Re:Best solution for 3 Powerline adapters for rooms upstairs?
2021-01-22 17:21:58 - last edited 2021-01-22 17:22:46

@Rodion15 

Hey Antonio

What you are considering in theory should work for you.  The homeplugs are 1300 AV2 so I would guess if wiring is good you should get ~350/400mbps backhaul

The bandwidth wont be split into 3 as such, its basically a shared maxumum.   It will have a shared backhaul of say 300mbps, so if you flood all 3x plugs at once you should get ~100mbps per WiFi plug, considering your Virgin is 200mbps you will flood your Virgin before the plugs.

However..  is it likely you will ever have all 3x plugs hammered at the same time?   My opinion, unlikely..   Its more plausable that one plug will be getting used pulling 200mbps from Virgin, the other plugs pretty much idle with 100mbps of bandwidth backhaul to spare.

Basically just because you have 3x plugs does not mean 33% each.. it could be 90 / 5 / 5    70 / 10 / 20  depending on how the clients are accessing the internet at the time.

This should work ok for you, again my numbers are just finger in the air guess.. all depends on your wiring!  

Other option if you dont have solid brick walls is a mesh setup with one of the mesh hubs on each floor?   Take a look at the Deco P9.. this has WiFi and Powerline connections which may work for you.   I have used these a few times with great success and you also get the advantage of mesh on all floors, no disconnecting and reconnecting every time you go up or down.

Options
2021-01-22 17:47:22 - last edited 2021-01-22 17:47:49

I’m thinking of two options:

This one would be best as it’s cheaper:

TL-WPA7517 KIT

TL-WPA7517 extender

TL-WPA8630P extender (with AC passthrough)

or the more expensive:

TL-WPA8630P KIT

2 x TL-WPA7517 extenders (without AC passthrough)

I guess the top option is more reasonable.

I couldn’t find the extenders alone in Amazon.co.uk, they just sell the whole kit.  Where could I get these?

Thank you

Options
2021-01-22 18:14:55 - last edited 2021-01-22 18:16:08

@Rodion15 

Hey

The extenders are tough to find as a single plug, its only been the newer models that come single as you noticed.

The top option is the cheaper for you and tbh isnt going to be any different from the 2nd option as they are 95% the same spec..  but honestly if ££ is a consideration look into the Deco P9.  You will get 3x stations with Homeplugs and Mesh built in for £200

The reason I mention that again is the mesh.. the problem with multiple home plugs is the client devices dont always move to the best signal, they will stick to the one they know until they completely lose connection.  Once that happens they will disconnect and reconnect, even then you have no idea what plug it chooses.. it can be messy with mutiple plugs, been there had that issue!  Mesh you wont have that issue as it all works as one network and it can switch as it feels free, mesh is taking over from homeplugs.

Ultimately your call, but in my honest opinion the P9 setup might be a better option for the same ££

Options
2021-01-22 18:47:02
would I be able to plug my upstairs computers to Ethernet RJ45 ports on these?
Options
2021-01-22 18:52:03

@Rodion15 

Yes you could, each device has 2x   1GB LAN ports

Options
2021-01-22 18:55:50
Super-thanks for your answer, what you say makes sense, to avoid connecting to the wrong wifi extenders. I'll check these.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 665

Replies: 6