Archer AX10 - Sudden and irreversible WAN crash

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-22 15:55:15 - last edited 2021-01-29 01:07:49
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I bought and installed an Archer AX10 mid-december. I was very satisfied with speeds, range and overall stability - for a whole month, I had nothing at all to report.

Yesterday, while working, I suddenly lost access to the internet across all devices. The AX10 was showing an orange WAN light and the configuration interface confirmed there was no internet connection.

First round of tests

I rebooted the router - nothing. Reset the modem - nothing. Called my ISP : modem responds fine, they even see the router connected to the modem. Plugged my modem directly to a computer : works perfectly. Plugged my old router to the modem : works perfectly.

Second round of tests

Restored the router to factory - nothing. Toyed with WAN port speed : modem sees the difference as it indicates a bad connection at 10/100 speeds and flashes a good connection at 1000 or automatic, but still no internet. Upgraded the firmware - nothing. Tried another ethernet cable - nothing. Set manual DNS (8.8.8.8) - nothing.

Interesting facts

The modem's link LED is flashing green, indicating a good connection the router. The router is able to renew its DHCP lease, fetches an IP and DNS that, according to my ISP, are correct. Nothing special happened around the time of the crash (no power loss, no update, no change on the ISP's side.

Right now a replacement unit is on the way from Amazon. Yet, I'm still worried as I see a lot of you are having WAN problems and as such a sudden but so specific problem seems unusual to me. I don't know if I'm doing the right choice by keeping this model.

Anyone can chime in regarding similar problems or what is happening with TP-Link and WAN problems?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX10 - Sudden and irreversible WAN crash-Solution
2021-01-28 14:30:05 - last edited 2021-01-29 01:07:49

@Kevin_Z 

After more tests, my wife's phone, which works only on 2.4, had no connection problems. Hence, this was purely a 5gHz problem. If you look at my previous post, I had posted a screenshot from inSSIDer where you see my network as the only visible one in the 5gHz band.

I had looked at other forum posts including one where disabling ODFMA was suggested. This is what I did and so far it seems to solve my problems!

I was already running the latest firmware and, as it was a new unit, I had not toyed with settings beyond the initial setup. I think you might want to look into what the latest firmware could have done to ODFMA?

Thanks!

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer AX10 - Sudden and irreversible WAN crash
2021-01-22 20:48:25

@apaquet 

Can you post the following screenshots:

Network Map=>Archer AX10

and the Network Status:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-01-25 02:11:45

@apaquet 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue to the community. Please monitor the performance of the replacement unit, report back if there is an issue.

Please do as Ivaylo suggested if you still experience an issue with the AX10, you may do a simple test by pinging the gateway as well as www.google.com on the clients that connect to the AX10 when there is no internet on it, then show us the results, thanks.

BTW, who is your ISP?

Options
2021-01-25 20:48:50 - last edited 2021-01-29 01:07:43

@Kevin_Z 

New unit is in place since Saturday evening, nothing to report - worked right away. It really points to a defective unit, as the new one works perfectly on factory settings and the previous one did not work after being reset to factory settings. I also operated with my previous router (D-Link DIR-612) without any WAN problems while waiting on the replacement unit.

I did test pinging the gateway successfully with the defective unit, and pings to web pages were unsuccessful. I also pinged google.com or 8.8.8.8 from the router's diagnostics page, unsuccessfully.

My provider is a local cable coop, ccapcable.com.

Options
2021-01-26 00:56:30

@apaquet 

Thanks for the update. It's glad to know the replacement works right away in factory default settings. Please monitor its performance, do let us know if there is an issue.

Options
2021-01-27 15:24:42

@Kevin_Z 

After a couple days with the new unit. I am now experiencing unstable WiFi, which had nevery been the case on the previous unit. Signal strength is weaker and connectivity drops on multiple devices. One drop required rebooting the router (all lights green on router but no internet on devices after drop). Router is in same position, same uncrowded wireless environment. There does not seem to be any problems with the WAN connection though.

I'm starting to believe something is up with the latest firmware update?

Options
2021-01-28 06:55:31

@apaquet 

Thank you for getting back, while it's bad to know the replacement gives you new issues.sad

Can you please check the current firmware on the AX10? You may upgrade the router firmware to the latest version, then reset it to factory defaults, when reconfigure it from scratch to confirm.

If this doesn't help, please try to run a Wi-Fi analyzer and verify which 5G channel is clearer, then choose that one; Channel width: 40MHz; Security: WPA/WPA2-Personal, WPA2-PSK, AES; Then reboot the AX10, and confirm.

Options
Re:Archer AX10 - Sudden and irreversible WAN crash-Solution
2021-01-28 14:30:05 - last edited 2021-01-29 01:07:49

@Kevin_Z 

After more tests, my wife's phone, which works only on 2.4, had no connection problems. Hence, this was purely a 5gHz problem. If you look at my previous post, I had posted a screenshot from inSSIDer where you see my network as the only visible one in the 5gHz band.

I had looked at other forum posts including one where disabling ODFMA was suggested. This is what I did and so far it seems to solve my problems!

I was already running the latest firmware and, as it was a new unit, I had not toyed with settings beyond the initial setup. I think you might want to look into what the latest firmware could have done to ODFMA?

Thanks!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-29 01:07:15 - last edited 2021-01-29 01:15:45

@apaquet 

Definitely sure, we have reported this to the engineers, they will investigate into the OFDMA on the router.

Just to confirm, is the AX10 hardware version V1 or V1.20? Can I know the latest firmware version on it?

Please monitor the router performance, do let us know if there is still an issue, thank you very much.

Options
2021-01-29 18:26:48

@Kevin_Z 

Firmware Version:

1.1.5 Build 20201230 Rel. 40465(5553)

Hardware Version:

Archer AX10 v1.20

After another 24 hours with OFDMA off, I still had problems. Disabled Smart Connect and went with manual settings for the 5gHz band (40mHz, auto channel). I now have a 5-bar signal and stable connection so far.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 679

Replies: 9

Related Articles