Deco M5 + Gigabit Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 + Gigabit Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 + Gigabit Switch
Deco M5 + Gigabit Switch
2021-01-25 10:11:15 - last edited 2021-01-25 10:13:04
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest/Just updated

Just installed the Deco M5 system in my home with additional hardwire requirements at the main puck connected to the Modem. My configuration is:

Fiber Optics Modem to M5 puck (wireless works great), hardwire from this same puck to an 8 port Unmanned Gigabit Switch to support various PC's locations not having WiFi.

When first plugged in, all hardwired PC's connect to the internet fine via the switch box, then over a matter of hours, all connections on the Gigabit Switch are out. Resetting the switch again (off-on) connects everything again and then few hours later wired connections are out again. I've tried 2 brand new switches, makes no difference.

I'd appreciate some help on this because I'm stumped....................thx.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M5 + Gigabit Switch
2021-01-25 15:09:39 - last edited 2021-01-25 16:48:51

@90profx 

If you'd like assistance with troublshooting, and don't mind making it work one way or another, please clarify the following:

1. How many Deco units do you have? If more than one, a simple network diagram showing how Decos are deployed and connected could be helpful.

2. Do you run Deco mesh in Access Point or in Router mode? Does it matter for you in which mode Decos should run?

3. Try "Test Internet Speed" from Deco app when everything is fine and when outage happens, compare results.

PS. I dealt recently with quite strange issue on my home network, where ISP cable router with 4 gigabit ports restarted itself frequently. Had Deco M5 connected to one of router ports, didn't have issues like that before Deco mesh deployment.

Got provider tech support, they recabled outdoors, didn't help. On a whim, disconnected no name Android set-top box from ISP router, the problem went away. Still have Deco M5 connected to ISP router.

Options
2021-01-25 21:36:42

@Alexandre. 

I have the M5, 3 Deco's arranged as follows:

FiOptic Modem, Cat6 to Deco (1), Cat6 from same Deco (1) to TP Link 8 Port unmanned switch (SG108), remaining 2 Deco's are wireless throught the house. I modified nothing, took it out of the box configured the wireless network per the APP and the wireless works great. The switch which is cabled at the first Deco is supposed to provide internet via Cat 6 cables to 3 PC's. When the switch is first plugged into Deco (1), all PC's receive internet signal, but after a period of time the switch drops all signal to PC's. Reboot switch and it's good again for awhile then drops out as before. All cables have been tested and found to be good.

Thank you

Options
2021-01-25 22:01:40 - last edited 2021-01-25 22:03:44

@90profx 

I am as stumped as you are ... this should definitely work with no issues. A switch is usual suspect, but you said you tried different switches with same result.

The only thing I could suggest, and this is obviously a workaround, not a fix, is:

1. Revert to original network layout you had before Deco deployment. I am assuming that would be networking switch connected to ISP Modem/Router. Verify this still works;

2. Connect Main Deco to one of available ports on switch. Use Ethernet cable that came with Decos. Leave other Decos as is.

3. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode - this configuration setting is in Deco app. 

Options
2021-01-26 01:44:46 - last edited 2021-01-26 01:49:24

@90profx 

Hi, thanks for your patience.

For your case, we would like to forward to the senior engineers for further help.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following information:

1. What is the model number of your Fiber optic modem?
  2. Are you able to constantly reproduce this issue? And how often did it happen within one day?
  3. Could you please help me check the IP address and gateway when the computers stopped working

-if possible, please try to ping the LAN IP address of the Deco to check the communication as well;

4. just curious, if the switch is connected behind one of the satellite Deco, would the issue start again?

5. Moreover, if connecting one of the laptops directly to the main Deco, bypassing the switch, would this computer be able to maintain the connection?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-26 16:24:30

TP-Link wrote

@90profx 

Hi, thanks for your patience.

For your case, we would like to forward to the senior engineers for further help.

At the same time, could you please help me check the following information:

1. What is the model number of your Fiber optic modem?
  2. Are you able to constantly reproduce this issue? And how often did it happen within one day?
  3. Could you please help me check the IP address and gateway when the computers stopped working

-if possible, please try to ping the LAN IP address of the Deco to check the communication as well;

4. just curious, if the switch is connected behind one of the satellite Deco, would the issue start again?

5. Moreover, if connecting one of the laptops directly to the main Deco, bypassing the switch, would this computer be able to maintain the connection?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

@TP-Link 

1. Nokia 7368 Gigabit Optical Modem (supplied by ISP)

2. YES, at least within a couple hours. Turn off-Turn on, repeat

3. I'm not tech savvy to get you that info

4. I don't have cable long enough to make that type of connection

5. I can't risk shutting down the internet as my wife works from home.

Options
2021-03-12 17:46:47

@90profx 

Hi 

Is your Nokia a combined modem/router/WAP?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1191

Replies: 6

Related Articles