Slower than wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slower than wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Slower than wifi
Slower than wifi
2021-01-29 20:48:28
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I bought a tp-link AV600 Powerline TL-WPA4220 KIT a month and a half ago. Unfortunately, the product has not given the expected results. I bought it with the hope of having more internet speed by being connected directly to the router, however I suffer from slower connection and micro-cuts.

I have no computer skills and I do not know very well how to solve this problem. I have the tpPLC software installed, but I have not noticed any improvement.

Any suggestion? I would like to see results in my investment in this product.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Slower than wifi
2021-02-01 12:27:20

@Kracius 

Hey

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the TP Utility to let us see what is happening?   What are your connection speeds between the plugs reporting?  How are you testing this and on what device?

Just thinking out loud here, the TL-WPA4220 is the older AV1 model device and therefore is rated to 600mbps maximum.  Homeplugs in general never get what their rated speeds indicate and you will average around 30 to 50% of rating (similar to WiFi in that respect), this is simply due to internal wiring, circuit breakers, noise etc that is out of the devices control.   While speeds are similar to WiFi, homeplugs do offer a more stable connection overall.

Im going to guess your devices are connecting at ~200mbps which is normal for this model but likely slower than WiFi would be by todays standards.

If you can send a screenshot we will know more then

Options
2021-02-10 01:48:11

Could you please clarify what type of screenshot do you need? You mentioned the TP Utility, but I am not sure what do you mean.

Options
2021-02-10 09:28:21

@Kracius 

Yeah not a problem

There is an app for checking the connection and status of the plugs, its not something I have used in a while but the DL link is below (UK so change for your region).

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-wpa4220/#Utility

If you install this app it will give you a better idea of what is going on with the plugs.    A screenshot of that would be helpful then we will know more

Phil

Options
2021-02-11 04:22:09

How can I see my hardware version? There are 5 in total in the Utility webpage  https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wpa4220/#Utility

Options
2021-02-11 09:44:57

@Kracius 

Hey

This link below should tell you how to find the model version, its usually below the serial number on the right hand side.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/46/

However as its just the app its likely not specific to one device.  If you are stuck finding the exact version just get the latest version and download that app, in theory it should support most; if not all the home plugs and is likely backwards compatible.

Hope that helps!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 905

Replies: 5

Related Articles