Would like to switch from Access Point to Router mode, but then what is the role of my ISP gateway?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Would like to switch from Access Point to Router mode, but then what is the role of my ISP gateway?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-30 14:27:40 - last edited 2021-01-30 16:37:54
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

I have a Vodafone DSL connection at home. The router they provided is still in router mode and my Deco M4s are in Access Point mode.

Recently, unwanted adult content has been appearing on devices connected to the network and I would like to make use of the filter/safety features that are only available in Router mode. I am wondering if switching to Router mode will cause a double NAT issue as it did with another non ISP router that I connected to the same network a while ago? Is address translation handled automatically by the Deco when switching to Router mode? Also, what changes should I make on the ISP provided router before or after I switch the Deco to Router mode?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Would like to switch from Access Point to Router mode, but then what is the role of my ISP gateway?-Solution
2021-01-30 15:28:49 - last edited 2021-01-30 16:37:54

@Housearrest 

It will cause double NAT issue, but not every home network will be negatively impacted by that. For example, I know that on my home network double NAT does not do any harm.

If you find some equipment or software on your home network can't handle double NAT, search for "switching to bridge mode" instructions for your ISP router. They may be in user manual, or obvious from ISP router Web interface, or you may have to call ISP tech support and ask how to switch your router to bridge mode.

Note that if your ISP router has multiple Ethernet ports, only one will remain active after ISP router is put to bridge mode. You may need to try all of them to find which one is that, if it is not the first port on router.

It also means, you can only have Main Deco connected to ISP router running in bridge mode. If you have something else connected to ISP router by Ethernet cables, you'll have to reconnect that equipment elsewhere.

You will also have to review how your Deco units are connected to each other, there are restrictions if you run Deco mesh in router mode. 

Finally, I am assuming you already disabled WiFi on ISP router, but if not - you should, otherwise a user may bypass Deco filters by connecting to WiFi network provided by ISP router.

My suggestion would be to switch Deco to router mode first, and then switch ISP router to bridge mode if you need to.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Would like to switch from Access Point to Router mode, but then what is the role of my ISP gateway?-Solution
2021-01-30 15:28:49 - last edited 2021-01-30 16:37:54

@Housearrest 

It will cause double NAT issue, but not every home network will be negatively impacted by that. For example, I know that on my home network double NAT does not do any harm.

If you find some equipment or software on your home network can't handle double NAT, search for "switching to bridge mode" instructions for your ISP router. They may be in user manual, or obvious from ISP router Web interface, or you may have to call ISP tech support and ask how to switch your router to bridge mode.

Note that if your ISP router has multiple Ethernet ports, only one will remain active after ISP router is put to bridge mode. You may need to try all of them to find which one is that, if it is not the first port on router.

It also means, you can only have Main Deco connected to ISP router running in bridge mode. If you have something else connected to ISP router by Ethernet cables, you'll have to reconnect that equipment elsewhere.

You will also have to review how your Deco units are connected to each other, there are restrictions if you run Deco mesh in router mode. 

Finally, I am assuming you already disabled WiFi on ISP router, but if not - you should, otherwise a user may bypass Deco filters by connecting to WiFi network provided by ISP router.

My suggestion would be to switch Deco to router mode first, and then switch ISP router to bridge mode if you need to.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Would like to switch from Access Point to Router mode, but then what is the role of my ISP gateway?
2021-01-30 15:44:58
That's great, thank you for your detailed answer!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 961

Replies: 2

Related Articles