LS1005G switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

LS1005G switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
LS1005G switch
LS1005G switch
2021-02-01 04:10:42 - last edited 2021-02-01 16:58:54

I am having trouble with my new LS1005G switch.

The Ethernet connection is coming to the switch from the router via a TP- Link powerline av600. It is connecting a Roku Ultra, Sonos speaker and Totu USB-c docking station for a MacBook Pro laptop.

I am able to get all devices connected to the internet. But after some time (matter of an hour or so) the Internet connections drop. I’d  like all devices to connect to the Internet. The issue is the devices lose all Internet connectivity. Since I understand the switch is full duplex, I thought the different devices on the Ethernet ports are independent. The lights on all the active ports appear to be showing activity. Any ideas about what might be going on?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:LS1005G switch -Solution
2021-02-01 16:42:05 - last edited 2021-02-01 16:58:54

@RobAmann 

Hey

Yeah connect the MAC via the switch and run a constant ping to the router, this should give you an average response time to work with.  Just let this ride until the issue happens and see if its lost connection to the router, which I suspect it will

Without restarting the homeplugs, reconnect the MAC straight to the plug *bypass switch* and see what happens.  Let this ride for a bit

There is no real metrics on this, however with a LAN connection to the router one would expect no dropped packets at all and the reply should be fairly constant in terms of timing.

The AV1 models as you have is more than enough for your WAN speed, however AV1 was the first generation and doesnt have MIMO.   I have 80/20 internet and had the AV600 for a good while, then it just stopped being reliable and I had to move to the AV2 standard.  If this is flakey you should look to the AV2 models, something like the PA7010 kit is pretty low priced now (£60 UK currys).  You may find these more stable, not due to the speed but more the newer standard AV2..

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:LS1005G switch
2021-02-01 13:49:43

@RobAmann 

Hey

The LS11005G is a un-managed switch, by that I mean its just a standard switch so is unlikely to be causing your issue

Given what you mentioned, my gut feeling is the homeplug AV600 is dropping out connection and that is where your issue is.   Try running a constant ping to your router from terminal on the MAC, I have a feeling the Router will drop packets regularly and cause this. 

When the network is down try plugging the MAC direct to the homeplugs and run the same test.

Just a gut feeling its the homeplugs, the AV600 is an older AV1 model and its not unknown for them to be flakey at times.

Options
2021-02-01 14:55:46

@Philbert Thanks so much for your advice. This was very helpful. 

Just so I understand, you are suggesting I run a constant ping from the current setup with the switch included [via the Mac] and see what I get -- i.e., how often are packets dropped. Then, when I encounter one of the sitiuations when I lose access to the Internet, run another constant ping direct from the Mac?  

Are there certain metrics regarding dropped packets that are acceptable versus something that should be a concern? The Internet outage is very bianry. When it goes down, all devices connected from that AV600 extender [and switch] go down at once. It's not like one device runs at a suboptimal level. It's an either/or kind of the thing.

Ultimately, it sounds like the AV600 might be too old and an issue. My usual speed from my ISP is ~30up/10down, so I don't think I need somethig faster than the AV600. Any advice on that since the AV 600 appears to the the Powerline extender that make the most sense with my ISP's bandwidth.

Thanks again,

Rob

Options
Re:LS1005G switch -Solution
2021-02-01 16:42:05 - last edited 2021-02-01 16:58:54

@RobAmann 

Hey

Yeah connect the MAC via the switch and run a constant ping to the router, this should give you an average response time to work with.  Just let this ride until the issue happens and see if its lost connection to the router, which I suspect it will

Without restarting the homeplugs, reconnect the MAC straight to the plug *bypass switch* and see what happens.  Let this ride for a bit

There is no real metrics on this, however with a LAN connection to the router one would expect no dropped packets at all and the reply should be fairly constant in terms of timing.

The AV1 models as you have is more than enough for your WAN speed, however AV1 was the first generation and doesnt have MIMO.   I have 80/20 internet and had the AV600 for a good while, then it just stopped being reliable and I had to move to the AV2 standard.  If this is flakey you should look to the AV2 models, something like the PA7010 kit is pretty low priced now (£60 UK currys).  You may find these more stable, not due to the speed but more the newer standard AV2..

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-02-01 16:58:43

@Philbert You have been incredibly helpful. I'll try to check on the constand ping but will also check on trying a newer powerline adapter since we are asking the AV600 connection to do a lot more [it used to just act as a LAN connection for the Roku, now asking it to support a laptop etc] so it's shortcomings might be more obvious.

Thanks so much for your help! 

Options
2021-02-01 18:42:09

@RobAmann 

Really appreciate the feedback and you are most welcome smiley

Any other questions do feel free to reply

Phil

Options
2021-02-03 03:57:14

@Philbert 

Hi Phil,

I ran the test for about 45 mins and got.0.7% dropped packages. Soon after I stopped the test, all the devices dropped but the LED lights on the switch are operating as usual. I got an interesting message on the laptop when I looked at the status of the LAN connection, "LAN has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet." The IP address changed from what I was pinging to a new IP address.

The instability appears to be triggered by the laptop. The Roku and Sonos appear to be able to stay connected without dropping. When I added the laptop, it seems to eventually (approximately 45 mins) cause the problem. Is that something changing to an a new AV2 powerline would resolve or is there a network setting on the laptop?

Thanks,

Rob

Options
2021-02-03 12:27:58

@RobAmann To clarify at the end of my comments regarding, "The Roku and Sonos appear to be able to stay connected without dropping" only occurs when connected on their own without the laptop. It seems with that laptop, Internet will be eventually lost (the laptop changes the IP address?)

Options
2021-02-03 17:20:47

@RobAmann 

This does seem a strange behaviour, I would have expected that the laptop got 100% pings or nothing.  0.7 although a small amount is significent enough for LAN traffic

Did you reteset this connected directly to the homeplugs?

When you mentioned it lost connection, what was the IP address at that time?   was it 169.xx.xx.xx  if so that is cause its lost connection to the router and cant renew its IP.  However that shouldnt be happening.

Next step test the plugs directly to laptop and see if you can recreate, that will definately rule out the switch being issue

Take it the Sonos and Roku are cabled to switch?

The AV2 are generally better overall, just newer standards but I wouldnt rush to replace your current until we know that they are at fault

Options
2021-02-03 21:09:55

@Philbert When I retested directly to the homeplug [no switch involved], no packets were dropped over the course ot ~1.5 hours. [usage was just surfing, no video.] it stayed on the same address of 192.xxx.xx.xx. When the LAN self-assigned the IP address yesterday [while connected to the switch], it was changed to a 169.xx.xx.xx IP address from its usual 192.xxx.xx.xx address. The laptop is configured to "Using DHCP." I can try a more vigorous test of the homeplug this evening using more video [my wife was naturally reluctant to test it while on work video conference calls.] 

Yes, the Sonos and Roku are also connected to the switch. The weird thing is the connection failed yesterday [when testing via the switch] a few minutes after ending the [~45 min] ping test. Might be a coincidence, but thought I'd mention it. During the test of the switch yesterday, I was running all three devices at once -- so pushing it hard.  

Thanks, Rob

Options
2021-02-04 09:44:15

@RobAmann 

umm  curiouser and curiouser..   in that case we cant rule out the switch but usually they are bulletproof, hence my money was on the plugs.. however I could be wrong! :)

Try it again under load as you suggest and even set a manual IP on the laptop to see if that helps..

sounds like this is going to be a strange one for you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3103

Replies: 11

Related Articles