Unreliable / Intermittent Connection Issues on Archer C6 (mostly with 2.4GHz WiFi but also wired)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unreliable / Intermittent Connection Issues on Archer C6 (mostly with 2.4GHz WiFi but also wired)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-01 21:09:49 - last edited 2021-03-09 08:29:57
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ver 1.1.7 build 20201010 release 49458(5553)

This is the 2nd Archer C6 (US) that I've gotten from walmart.com.  They replaced the first one because of all the connection problems.  This new (replacement) unit seems to be having similar problems.

I'm using both direct/wired connections (7-8 clients), and 10-14 WiFi connections (almost exclusively 2.4gHz).  I'm mostly having degraded connection issues with WiFi.  It'll usually happen with 1-4 devices initially.  I see "buffering" and slow connections with streaming services.  Mobile browsing will become extremely slow to display a page.  Sometimes the entire connection to the internet will be lost.  I never see any errors on the router logs, and the WiFi connections rarely completely disconnect, they usually get very s-l-o-w (but the connections do sometimes show "no internet").  It seems to be mostly WiFi connections, but sometimes wired connections will have similar issues.  I don't think it's my ISP (broadband cable) because some connections continue to operate normally.  All the lights on the router remain green.  Since I have a smart-house with Amazon devices (echo shows, echo pucks, Samsung SmartThings, etc.) -- I also  have a lot of IOT WiFi devices (outlets, thermostat, garage opener controller, video door bell, etc).  When the problem occurs, it almost never impacts all of these devices at the same time, but usually 3-6 devices will have connection issues.  It has impacted Roku devices (mostly WiFi ones, but I've had the issue with wired Roku as well).  My house is not that big, and the signal strength from the router (when working) is always quite good.

I have tried the original firmware.

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest version

I have tried increasing my DHCP lease to the maximum time allowed

I'm using WPA2-PSK security

Encryption is AES

I have tried limiting channel width to 20MHz

I have tried switching to Channel 11

My transmit power is HIGH

I am currently running only 802.11n (but also tried b/g/n mixed)

I rarely connect using 5gHz

I do have a 2nd router that I use an a backup/alternate access point.  When the WiFi problem occurs, it seems like that router's WiFi works as expected (but just the act of disconnecting and starting a new connection may be a factor).

Every time that I experience any of these connection problems on any of my client devices, I eventually need to reboot the router to solve the problem.  Rebooting the router always fixes the problem.  I never need to reboot the cable MODEM, nor am I seeing an errors being recorded with the cable MODEM.

I see other similar connection problems posted on this site with the Archer C6.  I strongly suspect you have a design or firmware issue.  If you can't help me find a solution, then this router will need to be returned.  I can't spend hours every week trying to debug and solve the problem.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Unreliable / Intermittent Connection Issues on Archer C6 (mostly with 2.4GHz WiFi but also wired)-Solution
2021-02-02 06:24:53 - last edited 2021-03-09 08:30:06

@mfleck_us 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

We do receive some customers feedback that the Archer C6 2.4G network is not unstable, our developers are working on it, they have provided some beta firmware to improve it, please kindly have a check:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/207232

If this beta firmware doesn't help, we will then help escalate your case to the engineers, they will try to investigate further.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unreliable / Intermittent Connection Issues on Archer C6 (mostly with 2.4GHz WiFi but also wired)-Solution
2021-03-08 20:30:03 - last edited 2021-03-09 08:29:57
I installed the beta version of the firmware about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and it is definitely working better. It's difficult to tell if the problem is 100% corrected, but I'm definitely seeing more stability and reliability, with maybe just a few connection drops.
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
2021-02-02 06:24:53 - last edited 2021-03-09 08:30:06

@mfleck_us 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

We do receive some customers feedback that the Archer C6 2.4G network is not unstable, our developers are working on it, they have provided some beta firmware to improve it, please kindly have a check:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/207232

If this beta firmware doesn't help, we will then help escalate your case to the engineers, they will try to investigate further.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unreliable / Intermittent Connection Issues on Archer C6 (mostly with 2.4GHz WiFi but also wired)
2021-02-02 08:46:55

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks,, but the link you provided is for the EU version.  As I documented in my post, I have the US version. 

TP-Link clearly warns that you must install firmware that matches your region and hardware version.

Options
Re:Unreliable / Intermittent Connection Issues on Archer C6 (mostly with 2.4GHz WiFi but also wired)
2021-02-02 09:00:19 - last edited 2021-02-02 09:03:21

@mfleck_us 

It's the 3-rd link from Kevin's post that matches your FW region and HW version:

For Archer C6/A6US V2: https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202011/20201110/ArcherA6v2_us_tw_c6us-up-ver1-1-8-P1[20201110-rel52599].zip

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-02-02 11:42:39

@Ivaylo 

Thanks!  I see that now.

The thread was about the EU version.  I now see that it also includes a link for US.

I'll give that a try.

Options
2021-02-03 03:26:41

@mfleck_us 

Sorry that I didn't make it clear, while thanks @Ivaylo for pointing that out. Please give it a go, let us know if it helps.

Options
2021-02-03 04:02:51

@Kevin_Z 

Can it be rolled back to the previous firmware release if it makes things worse?

Options
2021-02-03 05:49:53

@mfleck_us 

Yes, you can roll it back to the official firmware. While this firmware has been tested by a lot of C6 customers, it won't make the current situation worse.

Options
2021-03-08 20:30:03 - last edited 2021-03-09 08:29:57
I installed the beta version of the firmware about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and it is definitely working better. It's difficult to tell if the problem is 100% corrected, but I'm definitely seeing more stability and reliability, with maybe just a few connection drops.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1059

Replies: 8

Related Articles