Another crashing M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Another crashing M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Another crashing M4
Another crashing M4
2021-02-02 20:35:48 - last edited 2021-02-02 20:37:15
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 74289

Well I'm getting frustrated here.

I've had the above standalone M4 for about a year. Until now I'd been using it solely in AP mode for a particular area of the house where it had light use and performed admirably.

This weekend I decided to reorganise my home network and promoted the Deco to be the core router. It is now at the heart of a widely connected home with around 25-30 live client devices attached at peak, although only a handful of these are direct wireless connections to the Deco.

But it is alarmingly unstable. Twice in the past 48 hours Deco has crashed completely and without warning, showing a solid red light with all radios and routing dead. All I can do to resurrect matters is reboot, at which point connectivity is restored. I cannot discern anything from the system logs as these are wiped upon reboot, so there are no clues available as to what is going wrong. If it happens once more I fear I will have to abandon the Deco and invest in an alternate model or brand, a frustrating situation given the high regard in which Deco devices are held in the online community.

Network map:

Virgin Media Modem > Deco > Edimax Switch > Study LAN

> Devolo PLT adapters > Living Room LAN

Options
2 Reply
Re:Another crashing M4
2021-02-06 09:38:08

@JamesMas So just to add to my own thread, I contacted support about this issue and we have spent the week going back and forth on email.

My Deco eventually crashed so badly it booted straight to a red light and was to all intents and purposes bricked. Following guidance from support I successfully factory reset and as a precaution reflashed the firmware directly to the unit via the web interface. All to no avail, having been set up from scratch my Deco M4R ran for just under a day before crashing completely to solid red light status and now will not reboot again.

I'm hoping this will finally persuade support that it is faulty and allow me to do a warranty swap.

Options
Re:Another crashing M4
2021-02-07 07:57:19

@JamesMas 

Hi, thank you very much for your time and patience.

After checking the details, the local support would help you claim for warranty.

For more details, please have a check of your email.

Thanks a lot!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 449

Replies: 2

Related Articles