Deco M5 constant packet loss, high ping

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-03 04:09:52
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 build 20201022 rel 66804

I've seen others post on forums about this for the M9, but I too am having serious packet loss and latency issues regularly on my home network. Every minute to few minutes, latency will skyrocket, sometimes to more than a second. Without the M5, my network has about a 20ms latency. I test with fast.com on my laptop that sits about 10 inches away from the router, but I feel it more with my Xbox which is hardwired from the M5 through a tp-link switch. The latency gets so bad that it regularly disconnects me from my online game, sometimes several times in a few minutes. 

Any help? Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 constant packet loss, high ping
2021-02-07 11:13:39

@tjshel 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Could you please provide a picture of your network structure about the Deco system?

If possible, would you mind also posting some pictures of the packet loss and high ping?

And please also try to turn off the fast roaming, beamforming, especially the Mesh technology for the Xbox on the App to have a look?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-02-07 13:18:05

@TP-Link I'll work on that. Until I do, would those settings have any impact if I'm not using wifi? The Xbox is hardwired to the main deco via a switch

Options
2021-02-27 02:40:56

@TP-Link 

Seems like that does help. Not sure why they would impact a wired connection, though... 

After I realized the M5's were the problem, I put a different router in front of the mesh to act as DHCP and have been using the mesh as simply APs. This way, I could put my Xbox completely outside of the M5's reach. 

Why does turning off those settings impact wired connections?? Not sure which one ultimately did it, but turning them all off improved my connection a ton.

Options
2021-03-01 11:46:25

@tjshel 

Hi,

Mesh technology would not affect the wired connection and it is unique to wireless clients;

As for the fast roaming and beamforming, they are related to each Deco node and might have some impact.

Since you also mentioned that the Deco was changed to access point mode, I think that also helped a little;

By the way, since there is a newer firmware 1.5.3 for M5, have you tried to update to the latest firmware?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-03-10 14:37:04

@TP-Link 

Turns out, putting the decos in AP mode was the fix for me. Obviously, this means you have to have a separate router before the main deco. Less than ideal. If I knew, I certainly wouldn't've bought the deco system. If a router can't perform as a router, then it's not worth getting. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3705

Replies: 5

Related Articles