NAT Boost - effect on upload speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-07 10:26:37
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 0.9.1 v00a1.0 Build 201109 Rel.54507n

Till now I have had NAT Boost disabled on the basis that with it running it conflicts with QoS, DoS Protection and Traffic Monitor.

The Traffic Monitor is actually pretty poor at showing traffic flow across the different router ports, cannot be sorted by column and any historic data is lost following a power cycle.

Therefore on the basis that NAT Boost theoretically improves speed of throughput by not wasting resources on QoS, DoS Protection and Traffic Monitoring I decided to enable it.

The result was no perceptible change of inbound throughput but then again for the usual amount of incoming traffic this was to be expected..

However, running speed tests on my FTTC VDSL2 connection, I have noticed a significant downgrade in upload (outbound) speeds from typically 12Mbps to 7.5Mbps.  Disabling NAT Boost, regardless of whether or not the Q0S, DoS Protection or Traffic Monitoring are active, shows an immediate restoration of upload speeds to 12Mbps.  The results are consistent every time the setting is toggled.

My understanding of NAT Boost is that it is only beneficial for inbound traffic.  Can anyone confirm if uploads should be adversely affected by enabling this and if so why?  Otherwise, is it a potential bug requiring further investigation?

Options
1 Reply
Re:NAT Boost - effect on upload speeds
2021-02-19 10:00:00

@ESZ 

I thought that I would follow this up wth TP-Link's support but this seems to have been a waste of time.  Rather than acknowledge that there is a flaw in one of their products offerings they simply suggest I disable the feature if it does not work.  In other words ignore the problem.

I have responded as follows and can only hope they take the issue more seriously now. 

I have to say that I am disappointed with your solution. 

It is not really offering good customer service and pride in your products to simply pretend there is no issue and suggesting I disable the feature if it does not work.

Setting NAT Boost should not adversely affect the operation of the Modem/Router as it is designed to improve performance. 

I would have expected as a minimum that this would be raised as a technical issue with your hardware/firmware design engineers for further investigation and possible fix in a future firmware release.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 971

Replies: 1