Archer C7 - Irregularly router gets frozen, hang I have to turn it off and on.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-08 20:59:53 - last edited 2021-02-15 09:06:38
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20201120 rel.50406(4555)

Hello,

I have issue with my new Archer C7 router that from time to time usually 1x per day router gets hanged I can't access web-admin interface, I lose internet for wired and wireless devices and WAN led switches from Green to Orange only resolution is to turn router off and on again with button on back side.

I use only 2.4GHZ, I have 2 wired devices and around 4 wireless devices most of the time. No printer or USB devices.

I can't disable NAT due to my ISP (read somewhere on forums that NAT was causing this issue for older models of TP-Link routers).

Thank you for any answers / hints how to continue with trobuleshooting this issue.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C7 - Irregularly router gets frozen, hang I have to turn it off and on.-Solution
2021-02-14 07:55:13 - last edited 2021-02-15 09:06:38

@Kevin_Z

So far it looks like disabling Mesh mode helped.

No hangups or freezes in last 4 days

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - Irregularly router gets frozen, hang I have to turn it off and on.
2021-02-09 03:18:50

@ThrowawayName 

May I know when did you purchase this Archer C7? Does the issue happen when you installed it? It's suggested to reset the router to factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch to confirm if the issue persists. Here is the guide to reset it: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/140/.

When it hangs, are all the LEDs on the router steady on? It will not recover until you power it off then on?

There is a NAT and NAT boost feature on the Archer C7 web interface page, I think you are talking about the NAT Boost, you may check if you can disable it to confirm if the issue is related.

Options
Re:Archer C7 - Irregularly router gets frozen, hang I have to turn it off and on.
2021-02-09 15:54:04 - last edited 2021-02-09 16:02:30

@Kevin_Z

Hello Kevin, I bought it roughly 2 weeks ago but out of box it had old firmware from 2019 I patched it to latest possible immediately so I don't know if this issue was also present with 2019 firmware, yes it happens from the very beginning since I installed it.

I can and tried disabling NAT Boost but issue happens as well. no matter if NAT Boost is on or off.

I am not 100% sure I will check when next hang occurs but I think all LEDs are same as usual so Power LED is green, 2.4GHZ wifi indicator is green, WAN goes from green to orange and 2 LANs are green, issue won't go away until I power it off and on again I can't even access web-admin 192.168.0.1 when it happens.

Yesterday I disabled Mesh mode since I don't have any additional AP or additional router and so far it didn't hang but it's too soon to tell 100%.

If this issue happens again I will try as you suggested and reset router to factory settings.

Thank you for your help so far.

Options
2021-02-10 01:26:48

@ThrowawayName 

Good try, you may disable the Onemesh feature on it to verify if the hang relates. Do try my previous suggestions first if the issue happens again.

Good day.

Options
Re:Archer C7 - Irregularly router gets frozen, hang I have to turn it off and on.-Solution
2021-02-14 07:55:13 - last edited 2021-02-15 09:06:38

@Kevin_Z

So far it looks like disabling Mesh mode helped.

No hangups or freezes in last 4 days

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-02-17 20:45:16
Well, today it happened again, it looks like disabling Mesh mode helped so crashes and not daily but weekly. But they are still occuring. Tomorrow I'll put router back to factory settings but my current settings are 99% default settings anyway.
Options
2021-12-09 16:13:24

@ThrowawayName 

I agree about the intermittent hangs.  Like, the entire network freezes and I may even loose the router connection on my laptop.  Because the Win7 Wifi Icon on the task tray at the bottom right gets a little yellow "exclamation".   I may have to buy me AND my mother a different brand router.

I disabled Nat boost and any other feature that may put a load on the router.  Mesh has never been used and is disabled.

And that reminds me, the CPU load will bounce up to 95% or 75% randomly.  I logged into the router last night about 9pm because Netflix Froze and then restarted after a while.

I saw 100% for the first time. But it only stayed there briefly.  Most the time the CPU load is around 10 to 15% and bounces around about 30 to 40%.

But every time I login to the router the initial CPU load is Always 90%+ then it goes down very quickly.  Maybe just delivering the homepage is hard for the router?

Or maybe COX Communications is boggy?  Maybe both?

I typed in 192.168.0.1 the other day and it would not even give the login page for several seconds!   So that cannot be COX unless COX is sending out packets that is working the router so hard one the outside.  But  I was only access the router directly from the internal WLAN.  That should have been an immediate load.

Other things my parents experience is Youtube freezing and downgrading the resolution, as we have all seen.  I used to put that all on Cox or Youtube streaming service..But I think there may also be a problem with the router because of all the other things I described.. Like random high CPU load, and Yellow exclamation on the WIFI symbol, AND not being able to deliver the router login page until you wait several seconds.. 

Options
2021-12-09 16:35:43

@Chad2000xx

Hi, I didn't have this issue for a long time and as far as I know I did nothing (I upgraded firmware few weeks back but before that I had same when I first started this thread)....... I never found out what root cause was.

Options
2021-12-09 16:59:46
My firmware is up to date. Checked it 3 times this week. haha
Options
2021-12-10 06:58:41

@Chad2000xx 

Hello, can I know if the LED status on the Archer C7 is showing up correctly when it freezes? Are you able to ping its IP from a connected device?

Was there any specific activity when it freezes, such as it freezes mostly when you are watching Youtube? I would suggest resetting the router to its factory defaults and reconfiguring it from scratch, then monitoring again.

Options
2022-04-23 00:54:49

@ThrowawayName 

I never said this before because I did not know it was related.. I have an older Archer C50 at my apartment and I bought my mom a AC1750 in the past few years.  I am not sure how old it is but less that 2 years I am pretty sure.  Both router are completely updated with latest firmware.  And both my mom and myself were getting  Outlook errors that say "Cannot reach IMAP server".  I forgot the exact message but it has been doing that forever.   So, since this was my moms house and she cannot keep power cycling her router and she is old and cannot handle the issues.  So I bought her another friggn brand new router!   I must be a glutton for punishment because I bought anopther TP-Link.  I got the AX4400.  And NO MORE Outlook Errors.   And No more Buffering troubles.

So that means there is a systemic problem with TP-link AC routers.  But so far the AX router is much better.   My mom did say today that Youtube crashed.  And I noticed today , while in my aparmtnet, still on the C50, that the Fox news App crashed on my TCL tv..  just shortly after it started streaming.   My mom and I both have TCL tv's.   You know, on a separate note, TCL is only as good as their last update.   And they roll out updates all the time on their TV's.  So who knows why an app crashes.. But when my TV goes back to the home screen, I doubt that is my router!   But Buffering and lost connection problems IS the router.  I can tell because of the way I have been testing my moms home network, and the length of time I have been fiddling with it, and all those "connection problems" went away with the AX4400.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1607

Replies: 12