How to block ports (I want them to have "stealth" status)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to block ports (I want them to have "stealth" status)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:How to block ports (I want them to have "stealth" status)
2013-07-29 13:26:01

batkinson001 wrote

what is this port and is it worth upgrading to a BETA firmware just to hide it? I use a iphone, android tablet, ps3 and pc, all wireless, and would not want to have connection issues with this router... outside of the existing issues where all other devices can lose connection if something is hogging the bandwidth, like my ps3 running netflix or if my pc is downloading something quite large.

my firmware is Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 120524 Rel.05221

edit: cant upgrade my fw anyways, there is no fw page in the router (the menu text is there but no page, just:

Error Message:

ERROR: FAIL TO UPDATE DUE TO... ERROR: FAIL TO UPDATE DUE TO...

The firmware works fine to me with my PC, laptop and android phones.

What version is your router? Is it V3? This firmware is most likely only for V3.
Options
2013-07-29 19:58:40

Praeses wrote

The firmware works fine to me with my PC, laptop and android phones.

What version is your router? Is it V3? This firmware is most likely only for V3.

it's a V3, my router has never been upgraded before, I also have an extended warranty with Canada Computers where I bought it, so if I have any issues (if it ever stops working for ADSL or wireless), I can get it replaced...
Options
2013-07-29 23:50:18
Hi Guys,

FYI, when a router firmware has a security hole, I mean a port not normally closed (bug), a simple work-around is to forward this port to a unused IP address...
Options
2013-07-30 00:43:35
hmmm I don't think i need to update my firmware, even if i could... just ran GRC Shields UP! with my computers firewall on and off, both times the test results came up fine, no open ports or anything.
Options
2013-11-08 22:51:22

HiSpeed wrote

Hi Guys,

FYI, when a router firmware has a security hole, I mean a port not normally closed (bug), a simple work-around is to forward this port to a unused IP address...

Good idea, but this router doesn't support port forwarding! Quite sad really. Don't think I'll buy TP-Link again.
Options