TL-WA801ND ARP problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WA801ND ARP problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-WA801ND ARP problem
TL-WA801ND ARP problem
2021-02-18 13:25:03 - last edited 2021-02-18 13:26:15
Model: TL-WA801ND  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 3.16 v0001.0 Build 170905 Rel.59579n

I've always had some odd connectivity problems between my wired and wireless networks, through a WA801ND running in Access Point mode.  I've been doing some wiresharking and I've managed to narrow down the problem, so hoping someone might have a solution.

The problem seems to be that when a machine on the wired network sends an ARP broadcast asking for an address of a machine on the wireless network, it never gets a reply.  So the ARP table on the wired client shows incomplete for the address.  I've tried this with Windows and Linux wired clients with the same result.

Going the other way is fine: if I ping from a wireless client to a wired one, it resolves successfully.  And from that point on the wired client knows the MAC address of the wireless one so they can talk to each other after that.  When the wired client subsequently sends a "refresher" ARP request direct to the MAC address of the wireless client (i.e. not a broadcast), a response does come back.

So it seems that it's only ARP broadcast messages that are either not forwarded by the WA801ND to the wireless network, or otherwise not handled correctly.

Is there any setting that governs network broadcasts?  I can't find anything.

By the way I have DHCP turned off on the WA801ND (I have a separate DHCP server on the wired network, and DHCP all seems to work fine).

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WA801ND ARP problem
2021-02-24 10:26:04

@Andy_L 

Hi, thank you very much for your feedback.

Could you please draw a picture of the network structure of the internet system?

Such as ISP router---switch—801ND?

If there is a switch in between, may I know the model number of the switch as well as the model number of the home router

Later I would like to follow up on your case via email and please check your email box later;

Thanks a lot.

Options
2021-02-24 14:26:19

Hello!  Here's a basic idea of the network layout:

|VDSL |    |Linux   |    |Gigabit|
----|modem|----|firewall|----|switch |
                               |   |
                         +--+--+   +------|TP-Link|
                         |  |  |          |WA801ND|   
                     (Wired clients)        |
                                            +--+--+
                                            |  |  |                 
                                       (Wireless clients)

I did receive your email and I'll send a reply shortly.

Options
2021-02-24 14:28:10
To add to the above: the Linux firewall is providing DHCP to the internal network, both wired and wireless, and that appears to be working OK. The switch is a Netgear GS308, an unmanaged gigabit switch.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 484

Replies: 3

Related Articles