VERY slow wifi speeds on Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-19 20:01:43 - last edited 2021-02-19 20:03:08
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Deco M4(EU)_V2_200918

So I got this MESH system based on the reviews I saw on Amazon and was hoping I'd get great wifi speeds throughout my house.

Well I was wrong and I wish I would have noticed how slow my speeds really are before I wasn't able to return this product.

I have 1gig FTTH service (Bell Fibe). My 3 DECO's are all plugged in directly via ethernet to my gigabite tp-link switch. I use them in AP mode.

If I connect my laptop or desktop directly to the 2nd LAN port on one of my DECO's I get nearly 1gig speeds (900'ish Mbps)

I've tried only leaving 1 DECO connected (the MAIN one) and I'm still getting VERY poor transfer rates via WIFI.

I'm like 2 feet from my DECO and I get 112 Mbps download speeds when I use speedtest.net on my iphone 11.

Fast.com gives me 210Mbps DOWNLOAD and 140 Mbps UPLOAD.

From my understanding these devices "should" be getting over 400-500 Mbps wifi speeds no? (depending on the device of course)

I'd try changing the channel it's running on,, however it doesn't seem like this limited firmware lets me do this! :(

Any help would be greatly apreaciated !

Options
3 Reply
Re:VERY slow wifi speeds on Deco M4
2021-02-20 13:28:08 - last edited 2021-02-20 14:08:50

@Cylac 

There is not much you can do with configuration settings when Deco runs in Access Point mode, and when it runs in router mode whatever you try in configuration would not improve AP speeds but could make it even worse.

You have done multiple correct speed tests, but if you haven't tried it yet, disable 2.4GHz in Deco mesh to force wireless device stay on 5GHz all the time, and rerun speed tests with only Main Deco up.

The best I've ever got from M5 (which is similar hardware and specs as M4) was 450Mbps, with most speedtests giving results in the range of 300-400Mpbs.

Tested with Android smartphone, Deco runs in AP mode, M5 is wired to the ISP router, only 5GHz enabled, very little interference from other networks. Using fast.com, speedtest.net, Android speedtest app, Ubiquiti WiFi analyzer speed test.

By the way, when you check wireless client WiFi link speed on iPhone, what does it show? If you need instructions how to check that, see TP-Link FAQ article How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client.

If everything done right, you should see 866Mbps there.

Options
2021-02-21 17:52:43 - last edited 2021-02-21 17:54:00

@Alexandre. Thanks for replying!

yeah all my connection speeds have been verified. 

i also reconnect my wifi when I'm next to one of the Deco pods to ensure I get a 5ghz connection. 

I'm pretty sure my channels are saturated.. however I can't switch the channel on these things.. which is frustrating. Rebooting doesn't auto-correct this problem either. 

I've been using TP-Link devices for years (modem/router/switch/smarthome devices/etc) and so for I've been very underwhelmed by these Deco devices. 

Options
2021-02-22 09:44:00

@Cylac 

Hi, I would like to follow up on your case by email.

And could you please help me check the following information:

1. Could you please provide me a picture of your network map currently?
  2. What Is the working mode now, router or access point?
  3. Could you please provide me a picture of the speedtest result as well the link speed on the device?
  4. Since it is not supported to change the channel on the Deco M4, could you please try to download the Wi-Fi analyzer and check the current wireless condition around.

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1861

Replies: 3

Related Articles