Deco X20 Access Point Mode causing Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) block

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-20 20:53:43
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20201013 Rel. 58271

Hi TP-Link,

My decos are configured as access points. I am running a router infront of my Deco X20 and set up 172.16.10.10 as my main Deco. The other two deco AP are configured as a satellite. However this is causing a STP block (LAN port 1 and 2) from my router (first issue). Secondly, after turning off STP, I noticed that the traffic has been sent to the main deco before it gets forwarded out by main-deco to the router. Is this the correct behaviour?

This is the status of the port that is blocked from the router.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X20 Access Point Mode causing Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) block
2021-02-22 10:35:54

@essence 

hi, could you please provide me a picture of your network structure?

And the two pictures attached were broken. Could you please send them again?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-02-23 13:28:12 - last edited 2021-02-23 13:38:21

Here are the two diagram i posted above.

I was told by Natalie Zheng from TPLINK that the wireless backhaul is permanently activated even when I am using ethernet backhaul. This is quite unexpected from the mesh that was advertised, and nowhere is written about this including community forum. I never had issues with other popular brands.

The deco app is showing ethernet backhaul is working only after turning off STP on my switches, and I did not need the wireless backhaul from being permanently activated - as this will reduce my wireless speed and introduce STP.

Also hope you can help answer my 4 questions below. 

• [Deco Access Point Mode] In a ethernet backhaul scenario for LAN traffic (172.16.10.252) heading to 8.8.8.8, does satellite-deco (172.16.10.11) traffic packet send the packet through my firewalla-router(combined switch) TO the main deco, before it goes out to the WAN? 

• [Deco Access Point Mode] continued from the first question, in this case why does the main deco then act as another L3 router? 

• [Deco Access Point Mode] I have disabled STP on the router in order for my ethernet backhaul to function. Is this because there are wireless backhaul that is permanently activated from all Deco that's why the STP kicked in? If this is true, Deco actually causes double-looping (STP) since I have ethernet and wireless backhaul running simultaneously.

• [Deco Access Point Mode] I need to disable the wireless backhaul permanently. Can this be done?

@TP-Link 

Options
2021-02-24 06:37:49

@essence 

Hi, in this way, since the engineers are more experienced, It is suggested that you could also confirm all the details with her directly;

Thank you very much for  your understanding and support.

Options
2021-02-25 00:47:53
Are you able to get independent replies for my questions also?
Options
2021-02-27 08:57:18
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1329

Replies: 5

Related Articles