Archer A7 crashes upon running speed test

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-24 23:51:17 - last edited 2021-03-01 03:40:35
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.8

The issue is similar to this - https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/218238

Whenever I run a speed test, the router restarts. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer A7 crashes upon running speed test-Solution
2021-02-26 17:59:24 - last edited 2021-03-01 03:40:35

I think the problem is now resolved. 

I had another TP link router before. I had connected the new one to the older TP link power adapter. I connected the newer router to the power adapter it came with. I am able to run the speed tests fine after making this change. 

I will watch this for a couple of days, over the weekend and update this thread if I run into this issue again. 

Thank you again for the quick resolution.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer A7 crashes upon running speed test
2021-02-25 06:10:36

@ramsee 

May I know the network layout as well, how is the A7 connected to your network? Is it working as the main router? If possible, we hope you help take a short video about the issue when you run speedtest and the A7 reboots.

You can try to disable the Smart Connect on the A7.

BTW, how is the device connected to the A7 when it is running the speedtest? Is this specific device or any device will cause the issue when runs the speedtest?

Options
2021-02-25 18:20:36

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for the quick response. 

May I know the network layout as well, how is the A7 connected to your network? Is it working as the main router? If possible, we hope you help take a short video about the issue when you run speedtest and the A7 reboots.

Modem -> Router -> Devices. 

We don't have other routers or a mesh network. Just one modem and one router. I will follow up this post with a couple of videos. 

You can try to disable the Smart Connect on the A7.

I will try to do that and see if that helps. 

BTW, how is the device connected to the A7 when it is running the speedtest? Is this specific device or any device will cause the issue when runs the speedtest?

The device is connected to the router wirelessly. I tried the speedtest on a macbook and mobile phone. Both times, I saw the device crashing. 

Options
2021-02-26 00:10:59

@Kevin_Z 

Here is a link to the video. I cannot upload here due to size restrictions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kRdpOrvrK12h3LPvhKRv_4dddB-4y-5B/view?usp=sharing

Options
2021-02-26 01:00:25

@ramsee 

Thank you very much for the detailed info and video. May I know when did you purchase the Archer A7? Does this issue occur when you purchased it, or does it happen recently? If it is the latter, are there any changes in the network, or on the A7 itself, such as upgrading router firmware?

BTW, we have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Options
2021-02-26 02:13:56

@Kevin_Z 

The router was purchased yesterday. I have been seeing it after I set it up. Because I saw the issue, I looked in the Tether app. There was a firmware update and I updated the router hoping that will fix the issue. 

Thank you for following up and creating a support ticket. I am happy to assist in whatever way I can.

Options
Re:Archer A7 crashes upon running speed test-Solution
2021-02-26 17:59:24 - last edited 2021-03-01 03:40:35

I think the problem is now resolved. 

I had another TP link router before. I had connected the new one to the older TP link power adapter. I connected the newer router to the power adapter it came with. I am able to run the speed tests fine after making this change. 

I will watch this for a couple of days, over the weekend and update this thread if I run into this issue again. 

Thank you again for the quick resolution.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 722

Replies: 6