P9 powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

P9 powerline backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
P9 powerline backhaul
P9 powerline backhaul
2021-02-28 12:26:35

Hello all. I have the Deco M9 Plus setup in my house with the main deco as a router and the others as satellites. This setup has been good for me and I get good wifi access all over the house. However, I have an out-building at the back of my garden which I would like to have wifi, at present I only get a weak signal up to the entrance of the out-building and once inside it disappears as the signal cant penetrate the brick wall. I cant setup other satellites in between and get signal that way, as there's an open garden which is 12 meters from the house to the out-building. Therefore Im considering getting two P9's, one in the house and the other in the outbuilding to carry the signal across the electrical circuit.

The question I have is, If I setup up the P9's as satellites to the M9 would the powerline backhaul work between the two P9 decos?

e.g. - Internet - Main Deco(M9-router-House) - Satellite 1(P9-House) - Satellite 2(P9-Out-Building)

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:P9 powerline backhaul
2021-03-01 10:49:16

@js1122 

Hi, yes but the powerline backhaul would only take effect between Deco P9s;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-03-01 12:50:48 - last edited 2021-03-01 13:12:47

@TP-Link 

Hi, TP-Link Support:

You may wish to ask someone on TP-Link team to update P9 Web page that explains how different Deco units work together.

When you open https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-networking/deco/deco-p9/ and scroll all the way down to "All Decos Work Together" and select "Deco P9 as Satellite" there is no powerline backhaul between two Satellite P9.

Yet, when you check same picture for P7 at https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-networking/deco/deco-p7/ there is powerline backhaul between two Satellite P7.

It is obvious from your reply that P7 picture is correct and P9 picture is not, so please have someone get it fixed. I think it were like this for a while.

Options
2021-03-01 13:04:45

@js1122 

Have you considered powerline adapters? A pair of powerline adapters and an additional single Satellite Deco such as M9, M5 or M4 may be able to achieve what you want.

It will be depending on your home network layout, Deco mesh units deployment, and if you have Ethernet connection near the electric outlet which is on the same circuit breaker as your out-building.

Still, worth considering if you haven't. 

Options
2021-03-10 12:23:46

@Alexandre. Thanks

So if I understood you correctly, it would look something like below if I decide to go with a powerline adapter instead of P9

Deco M9 (Router) - powerline adapter1 (connected to router via ethernet) ----------------------------------------------- powerline adapter2 (out-building) - Deco M5 or M4 (connected to powerline adapter 2 via ethernet)

So effectively connecting a satellite deco to the powerline adapter will give wifi access in the out-building. Is that correct?

Thanks

Options
2021-03-10 12:47:20 - last edited 2021-03-10 15:42:19

@js1122 

Yes, this is correct. Two powerline adapters will create an Ethernet link between each other, Deco unit will use it as an Ethernet backhaul.

If you decided to try this, look for AV1000 gigabit powerline adapters. Two individual or two-pack powerline kit. Such as TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Kit (TL-PA7017 Kit)

Anything less than gigabit is probably outdated, and anything over gigabit is an overkill (unless it is on sale - then go for it).

Options
2021-03-10 12:54:27

@Alexandre. 

Funny enough that was the exact powerline adapter I was looking at!

Thanks for your help.

Options