How to route internet through RE505X when set up as Access point via Ethernet on PC?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to route internet through RE505X when set up as Access point via Ethernet on PC?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-02 09:54:27
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20200604 Rel. 130850

I just purchased an RE505X to use as a private network with the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset. I have it connected to my PC via a CAT6 cable. When I use it as an extender the max link speed reads as 173 Mbps on the 5GHz channel. When I use it as an AP I get 866Mbps. I also have a USB wifi adapter attached to my PC that connects via wifi to my router. My question is how do I use the RE505X as an AP while bridging my USB wifi connection to it? For example if I connect to the AP currently I have no internet connection but want to be able to use the internet connection my PC has via the USB adapter. How do I do this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to route internet through RE505X when set up as Access point via Ethernet on PC?
2021-03-03 01:59:25

@MrGoto Hi, 

Normally range extender connects to a router by cable or by Wi-Fi as Internet source.

If you want to make PC with USB adapter as Internet source. PC with USB adapter should work as an Access point  or Hotspot and  broadcast a Wi-Fi signal, so extender could connect to it by Wi-Fi. You may contact PC or adapter support and see if your PC& adapter support  working as a Hotspot. 

Options
Re:How to route internet through RE505X when set up as Access point via Ethernet on PC?
2021-03-03 05:39:27

@Solla-topee Yes however when I use the RE505X as an extender the max rate as displayed in a wifi analyzer is only 173Mbps, even though my router's 5GHz connection shows as 346Mbps.  Used as an AP it shows 866Mbps on the analyzer but obviously can't connect to the internet, therefore I want to share the internet connection from my PC back through the AP. Understand?

Options
2021-03-05 07:16:33 - last edited 2021-03-05 07:30:12

@MrGoto Good day!

Thank you for your explanation, it’s more clear now 

Please make sure extender have a different SSID from router ( so we could easier to identify RE's wifi ) and set up different SSIDs for RE505X 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi. 

If you have a Tether app installed, here is an FAQ to change SSIDs on Tether  app ( disable "Smart connect " have that option : https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2540/

Please make sure your cell phone/ laptop is connected to RE's 5Ghz band and double check the Link speed, may I have a photo of it, thank you!

Options