archer ax21 / ax1800 can't connect to hidden network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-02 21:02:53
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hi,

Just bought and set up an Archer ax21 wifi router. For many years (at least a decade) I have been using hidden SSID's with mac address filtering/white list. With the ax21 my devices don't always connect, or lose connection. I have multiple devices connected, some to 2.4ghz band and most on the 5ghz band. I modified my wifi radio settings and channels and wpa security to see if it helped. I even ran one of those "wifi analyzers" to find the best channel for broadcast signal. The "wifi analyzer" let me know that the signal was strong and still broadcasting even though it was hidden. The only way I was able to get everything to connect was to unhide my SSID's, I just like having them hidden and have been able to do it with my previous 3 router devices. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Thank you,

JUrbina

Options
9 Reply
Re:archer ax21 / ax1800 can't connect to hidden network
2021-03-02 23:14:53 - last edited 2021-03-03 00:11:30

@J.Urbina 

How many devices you are connecting to the AX21 ?

What are the devices you have this problem with ?

Does that happen always with these particular devices ?

Can you confirm the HW version and the FW region of the device.

On the bottom there's a sticker with these details.

FW version can be seen here as well:

Try using these wireless security settings and see if that helps:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-03-03 03:09:38

@Ivaylo 

I have 10 devices connected, (2)-2.4ghz and (8)-5ghz, granted it should be more like 11 for 5ghz, but haven't gotten around to adding those yet.

Hardware ver: 1.20

Firmware: 1.2.1 build 20201202 rel. 76564

The problems, at least the ones that I noticed first were my cell and an ipad. The ipad could not connect at all, until I started broadcasting signal, my cell would connect and lose connection at some point.

Options
2021-03-03 03:27:44

@J.Urbina 

The cell phone in question, is it an IPhone ? If yes, what's the IOS ?

When the SSID is not hidden, do these two have a stable connection with AX21 ?

Have you tried the wireless security settings from my first post (and reboot AX21 afterwards) to see if that would help ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-03-03 03:45:28

@Ivaylo 

The wireless security settings you mentioned are my default settings, I tried other combinations also. I have also rebooted (both my devices and the router) many times after making changes. The cell phone is an HTC running android 9, there is no upgrade to android 10 for my phone. When the SSID is not hidden they stay connected, no issues thus far, but I will keep an eye on that and see if I lose connection after a day or two, as I have seen mentioned for other routers on the forum.

Options
2021-03-03 04:24:29

@J.Urbina 

OK, got it. Then your wireless security settings are fine.

When trying to connect the cell and the iPad in question (and SSIDs are hidden) are they behave the same on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band ?

Good idea to observe these when the SSIDs are not hidden to check their stability.

Options
2021-03-03 04:51:18

@Ivaylo 

I tried connecting the ipad to the 2.4ghz wifi, but it did not connect. I did not try with the cell. The last thing I might do, which may not solve anything, is to factory reset the router and see if it solves anything.

Options
2021-03-03 05:50:59

@J.Urbina 

Just to confirm, what if you disable the mac address filtering/white list (I think you are talking about the Access Control -> White List), then reboot the AX21 to confirm if you can connect to the hidden network on both HTC phone and the iPad?

Are there any error message when they failed to connect to the network? Screenshot will be appreciated.

Options
2021-03-04 04:32:19

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, disabled the mac filtering/whitelist with hidden SSID's and same thing happened. My htc phone asked me.m to sign-in to my wifi network (gave me a pop-up I selected it and it connected). Just to test it out, I restarted my phone and I lost connection. There is no error message, the network is saved/but grayed-out, when selected it says "signal poor." All my saved networks (SSID's) out of range say the same thing. It treats the network like its not broadcasting. The Ipad just lost connection after I hid the SSID's, tried restarting and nothing.

Options
2021-03-04 05:48:02

@J.Urbina 

The tech support engineer was made aware of your issue, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 972

Replies: 9