Windows 10 devices unable to access internet for a long time after start up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-04 06:52:50 - last edited 2021-03-05 01:58:08
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 build20210205 rel.12759 (4555)

Hello!

We are having problems with our router and our Windows 10 computers. When the computer starts or wakes up it can take up to several minutes to be able to reach the internet.  During this time I can ping the router and access other devices on the network using SSH, but not reach the internet.

I have tried all the guides I have found related to WiFi connectivity issues and Windows 10 such as: updating drivers, turning off the feature which lets Windows 10 shut off the WiFi-device, disabling the firewall, changing DNS, changing power settings, disabling autostarted applications, but nothing seems to improve the situation. If connected directly to the router with a cable the laptops connect right away, so the issue seems only to happen using WiFi.

Our android and Ubuntu devices do not have this issue, they connect immediately after starting up. 

We have tested our laptops running Windows 10 at my parent-in-laws who has an Asus router, there we don't have this issue.

Any ideas what can cause this?

BR
Terry Edberg

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Windows 10 devices unable to access internet for a long time after start up-Solution
2021-03-04 22:35:14 - last edited 2021-03-05 01:58:08
I think I might have figured it out. Disabling the SPI Firewall seems to have helped. I can get out on the internet again. It is a bit weird though that this only affected the Windows 10 laptops and not any other device running another OS.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Windows 10 devices unable to access internet for a long time after start up
2021-03-04 11:14:57

@tedberg 

Hi Terry, may I have the model number of the Wi-Fi adapter on the Windows 10? Please also share with us the driver version on it, you may check it as this:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2722/

Is the Smart Connect enabled or not on the AX6000? Try to disable it, and connect the Windows 10 to the 5G network to confirm.

Options
2021-03-04 20:36:42

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin!

In my laptop I have an Intel AC3165 and version 19.51.31.1 of the drivers.

I tried connecting to the 5 GHz network and turn off Smart Control but it didn't help. Actually, right now it's worse than before, I am not able to reach internet at all, the LAN still works fine though. I also have Ubuntu 20.10 installed on the same laptop, and I have no issues connecting to the internet when I boot Ubuntu.

Another thing I tried was to set allocate an IP for my laptop in the router, but I was unable to do so. For each IP I tried (in the configured IP range and not used by another device in the list under the DHCP server menu) it said that it was being used by another device. Not sure if that is related to the main issue.

Best regards

Terry

Options
2021-03-04 20:57:31 - last edited 2021-03-04 22:12:32

I tried updating to the latest drivers, 19.51.33.1 but it is the same problem there. I also tried to do a restoration of Windows 10 completely restoring the factory settings but the problem still remains.

I noticed that there was an open network available (careless neighbors...) and tried to connect to it - and it worked without any issues. Using that network I am able to use the internet, but as soon as I switch back to my network I loose the internet connectivity.

Options
Re:Windows 10 devices unable to access internet for a long time after start up-Solution
2021-03-04 22:35:14 - last edited 2021-03-05 01:58:08
I think I might have figured it out. Disabling the SPI Firewall seems to have helped. I can get out on the internet again. It is a bit weird though that this only affected the Windows 10 laptops and not any other device running another OS.
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-05 01:55:47

@tedberg 

Thanks for the update. So after you disabled the SPI firewall on the AX6000, there is no issue on this Windows 10 connecting to the internet? Please monitor the connectivity, let me know if this issue is resolved by this modification.

Options
2021-03-05 06:04:11
Hi! Yes, that seems to be the case. I haven't experienced the same problem since I disabled the SPI Firewall. I have tried rebooting and putting the laptop to sleep several times and it reconnects and lets me out on the internet after short after starting up. I'll get back to you if the issue reappears. BR Terry
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 553

Replies: 6

Related Articles