Wifi speeds slower than wired speeds in access point mode with Sky FTTP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-17 09:40:04

I have the deco E3 bundle, which consists of a main deco tower and the plug in extender. 

I have this week upgraded my internet to FTTP, with sky. Previous to this, I had FTTC also with sky. Due to the restrictions with sky, I am unable to use Deco as my router, as Deco does not allow for Option 61, MER authentication. So I have connected Deco to my sky hub, setting it to access point mode to avoid double NAT. 

When using Deco with FTTC, I was getting the same speed via wifi as I was getting through Ethernet, with maybe a 1mbps difference here and there. I was getting that speed throughout my house, with no obvious drop points. 

When FTTP was installed, the only change to my set up was to incorporate a new sky hub, connected via Ethernet to the openreach ONT. As before, I connected deco to the new hub and everything seemed fine. 

My new connection has now settled, and when running a speed test on Ethernet, I'm getting speeds between the 130 and 150 Mbps range. However, when running speed tests on wifi, deco hasn't once gone over 95mbps. When running the test, I am stood next to the deco tower, and plugged directly into the sky hub. I've also used various speed tests, including Deco's own, BT wholesale and Speedtest.net

When I then try to run tests around the property, the speed drops dramatically. In one room, I'm getting around 40mpbs, despite having full WiFi signal.

Could there be an issue with the deco system here, or is deco not able to provide higher wifi speeds after a certain threshold? I've tried to change wifi chanels on the deco, however, in access point mode this isn't possible. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wifi speeds slower than wired speeds in access point mode with Sky FTTP
2021-03-18 01:23:00

@rjwill10 

Hi, when the sky system updated the FTTC to the FTTP, I guess your internet bandwidth has been improved as well, like over 100m/s;

While for the Deco E3(1* Deco M4 and 1*Deco M3W), Deco E4 has 2× 10/100 Mbps Ports so that the maximum Ethernet speed it could receive from the SKY HUb would be limited to 100m/s;

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Wifi speeds slower than wired speeds in access point mode with Sky FTTP
2021-03-18 08:47:34

@TP-Link Thanks, I guess that clears that up. 

I'm a little confused though, as you market the E3 as follows:

"Deco E3 provides fast and stable connections with speeds of up to 1167 Mbps and works with the major internet service provider (ISP) and modem."

I don't understand how you can run the E3 bundle up to 1167Mbps when it physically cannot accept those speeds from the ISP? That bundle is surely being mis sold? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 904

Replies: 2

Related Articles