Modem won't work with my router unless there is an ethernet hub between

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-06-24 08:57:59
Region : Canada

Model : TD-8616

Hardware Version : V5

Firmware Version : The Latest

ISP : Start

Hey there.

I have an issue where my modem won't connect to my router unless I place an ethernet hub between them. The modem works fine just connected right into my computer (but that leaves all other devices in the lurch for internet).

I've used three different routers, all different brands (Linksys, D-Link, Belkin) and had no luck just going modem -> router -> computer.

So my setup is modem -> ethernet hub -> router -> computer

And the worst part is that my internet speeds are now hitting an all-time low of 0.02 Mbps because of this hub. I don't know if it's just recently breaking down or what, but I could use any help you guys could offer to fix this.

Thanks in advance.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Modem won't work with my router unless there is an ethernet hub between
2013-07-02 13:18:34
Hi.
"I have an issue where my modem won't connect to my router unless I place an ethernet hub between them. The modem works fine just connected right into my computer "
I think you can double check the settings on the router. Obviously, the problem is not on the modem since the modem works fine when connected the computer directly,
Options
2013-07-03 14:23:44
Well, the modem works fine only when connected into my computer, but NOT when connected to ANY router. I've tried 3, brand new routers. Returned them after they didn't solve my problem, but they were fresh out of the box.

And the modem then works when there is a switch between them, meaning for some reason the modem cannot communicate directly with the router. I just wanted to know if there were some settings I needed to change in either the modem or the router to get it to work properly.
Options
2013-07-05 15:41:55
Is the Internet connection type PPPOE or dynamic IP? What is the LAN IP address of the router?
"And the modem then works when there is a switch between them," Is the switch a unmanaged switch? What is its model number?

TD-8616------------Router-------------Computer

As we know, TD-8616 is a pure modem and is just plug and play. No DHCP function on it. And its default IP is 192.168.1.1.
If the LAN IP address of the router is also 192.168.1.1 , you can change the LAN IP of the router in case it will cause IP conflicts.

If your ISP provides PPPoE connection for you, you can configure the router to PPPoE mode.
If Dynamic IP, you can set Dynamic IP on the router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 485

Replies: 3