How to connect to a WA854RE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-24 11:09:53 - last edited 2021-03-24 11:12:15
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: not known

I have just correctly connected a WA854RE Range Extender to my local network (Vodafone-Cxxxxxxxx) which is working perfectly.

The Range Extender has been automatically assigned 192.168.1.9 IP address.

But after configuration I can no longer find the TP-LINK_Extender_xxxxx in the list of the available networks (which was in the list before and during the setup). Is this correct?

I was assuming that the devices which are located closer to the Range Extender than to the router should have to be connected to its network (TP-LINKsomething), rather than directly to the router local network (Vodafone-something)

Am I supposed to ignore this step and to connect my devices to the Vodafone-Cxxxxxxxx?

Thank you for your support.

marco

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to connect to a WA854RE
2021-03-25 03:56:47

@Amicone63 

You may set up a different SSID for range extender, so you could tell devices are connected to router or range extender, here is an FAQ that may help: 

How to change wireless settings of TP-Link range extender on Tether APP?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2459/

Options
2021-03-25 13:22:33

@Solla-topee 

Hello, thank you very much for your support, but I'm afraid I still need some help as renaming the SSID is not the point.

Let's recap: 

1) I have a local Network whose SSID is, say, Vodafone1 (names are fictional).  All the devices wi-fi connected to this network thru a router, are automatically assigned an ip 192.168.1.x and all of them can navigate the internet. The only problem is that the devices located more distant from the router have a low signal. That's why I bought a TP-Link range extender

2) In order to set up the range extender (since the WPS method has not been succesfull) I used the manual configuration, so I disconnected one of my Windows 10 PC from Vodafone1 local network and I connected it to the LAN automatically created by the TP extender (say TPLINK1, still fictional). Of course this LAN at first is not connected to the Internet. So, following the quick start guide, I connected my PC to that Lan, then I logged in (admin / admin) to the Range Extender and set it up to connect do the Vodafone1 Lan. The setup has been succesful: checking the list of hardware connected to the Vodafone1 router I can see many devices, including the TP Link whose automatically assigned IP is 192.168.1.9

3) Since that moment the TPLINK1 LAN has disappeared, so I don't know how to login in to the range extender to edit the setup (still the TPLINK seems to be connected to the Internet but somehow "unreachable" by other devices)

4) Furthermore I have no idea if this effect is correct or if I should find a TPLINK1 network (which was available before the setup) to be used by devices which are located nearby the range extender or if they still have to be connected directly to the Vodafone1 network,

Options
2021-03-26 09:38:13

@Amicone63 Hello, 

After you successfully set up range extender, Range extender will turn off its LAN (range extender has a smart DHCP and it will turn its own DHCP off when it detects another DHCP Server).  And RE and Vodafone router are in the same local network, all the IP addresses will assigned by router's DHCP Server. 

To login range extender, you could use RE's current IP address to login directly, ( If got some trouble to login, you could try incognito Mode in browser, or change a different Web browser to login)

During the Quick setup, if you have not customized a SSID for range extender, RE may copy your router's SSID, that's why TPLINK Extender default SSID disappears.  RE uses the same WIFI name as main router now. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 501

Replies: 3

Related Articles