Regular Latency Spikes on Deco E4 - Any News on a Fix?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-26 06:25:48 - last edited 2021-03-26 13:38:12
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 Build 20200921 Rel. 34199

Hello!

I have recently purchased a 3-pack of Deco E4 and have set up all nodes and are working. However, I am having performance issues with regular ping spikes. I have done some searching already and this seems to be a prevalent issue even with E and M devices. However there seems to be no updated thread or an update on a fix. I would like to ask, especially from the moderators, if there is any news on this one. Some threads go as far as September 2020 with no fix mentioned.

My current network is configured as follows:

ISP modem --ethernet--> Ubiquiti EdgeRouter --ethernet--> Main Deco E4 (in AP mode) -- wireless--> Deco E4 nodes x 2

I am constantly receiving high latency spikes as high as 2000ms with occasional timeouts. As other threads have observed, they appear to occur in regular intervals, too. This causes my browsing to be unstable and my realtime applications such as teleconferencing and online gaming are unusable. Number of maximum devices connected is 8, but this problem persists regardless of the number of devices connected. I am using an EdgeRouter specifically for the smart queue management/QoS.

I have checked this via continuous pinging and please refer to the following screenshot below as an example. This problem is reproducible in all devices connected to the mesh network. I have searched the community forums and this appears to be a common problem. I would like to check  if there is now a possible fix or an updated firmware.

Things I have tried and their outcomes:

• Disabled Fast Roaming and Beamforming: no change.
  • Disabled IPv6: no change.
  • Disabled Mesh function: resolves issue. However this is not desirable as our wireless devices will lose coverage. This is not acceptable for some of our devices as they roam around the house. This is also only a workaround and does not address the root problem that there is something wrong in the firmware or hardware.
  • Directly connected affected devices to the main node via ethernet: resolves. However this defeats the purpose of a wifi network.
  • Directly connected affected devices to the EdgeRouter router via ethernet: resolves.
  • Never had these problems prior to switching to TPLink mesh.

I hope there's new firmware available.

Thanks for your time!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Regular Latency Spikes on Deco E4 - Any News on a Fix?
2021-05-11 09:22:04

@redwine 

Hi, thank you very much for your time and patience.

After checking with the senior engineers,  the regular ping latency on the client device might be caused by its inferior compatibility with the roaming protocol 802.11K, and in order to main the stability, the Mesh technology is suggested to be disabled;

For more details, please refer to this link: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/180194

And turning off its own Mesh Technology would not affect the roaming performance of other clients;

Moreover, it is planned to add a new feature that the client could be assigned to the specific Deco node in the future firmware release;

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 840

Replies: 1

Related Articles