RE605X - WiFi throughput problem.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-29 11:06:07
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20201013 Rel. 151134

Hello,

I found out a problem with RE605X as a WiFi Mesh range Extender. I have configured it with tp-lin AX73 router in Mesh WiFi.

I expected better WiFi throughput, because I see max. only 200-250 Mbit/sec. I have good WiFi range on RE605X, it is located on half distance between AX73 and tested laptop/phone (I have better throughput without RE605X than with, despite the without RE605X I have much worse signal strength...). I am very disappointed.

The solution for me will be, once RE605X should work on RJ-45 cable, but not as repeater only, but like a Deco. As I know, it is impossible, now. Why? Maybe in the future firmware release?

Regards,

Maciej

Options
8 Reply
Re:RE605X - WiFi throughput problem.
2021-04-01 09:33:57 - last edited 2021-04-01 09:36:27

@maciejp Hello, 

As range extender needs to receive data from the router and then forward it to the connected clients, speed will decrease during the transmission, especially via wireless connection.  If you are able to wire  the range extender to router, please set it up into AP mode and see if speed gets better: 

Router--- < Ethernet >---RE (AP Mode), please switch RE to AP Mode : How to configure the range extender as an access point (new logo)?

If you could not run a cable between RE and router, may I know at RE's location, how much speed did you get from main router's 5Ghz WiFi? 

200-250Mb/s, is this the speed on RE605 5Ghz Wi-Fi network? 

Options
2021-04-01 10:07:11

@Solla-topee 

Heloo.

Yes, I'm using 5 GHz and WiFi 6.

I tested RE605X as AP and in AP mode everything is OK (I got 600 Mb/sek throughput). Bu it is not acceptable for me (I need Mesh WiFi...).

But, I tested another one configuration: configured RE605X as WiFi extender and additionally connected cable to the router. And now, I got good throughput and all looks fine :) I see my router in RE605X as wired connection. But I have a question: is it good (acceptable) configuration? I didn't find any information about such configuration... Could you explain this?

Regards,

Maciej

Options
2021-04-02 02:37:42 - last edited 2021-04-02 02:38:03

@maciejp  Hello, 

It's not a good idea to connect RE to router via cable & wireless at the same time. It  may cause a loop between router and extender which leads to a network storm in the network after certain time. 

Without oneness,  wireless clients could still  roam between router and range extender (most new wireless device support roaming), its only not that fast as oneMesh.

I assume you have to make a choice between AP Mode or OneMesh, it is rec use it in AP mode unless you need to always walk around in video call.

Options
2021-04-02 06:18:01

@Solla-topee 

Yes, I know my configuration may be not a good idea. But I'm testing it since few days, an everything looks ok. Little strange looks my client list in Tether, i.e. OnePlus presented as wire connection (but is connected to AX73, not via RE605X). 192.168.150.1 is AX73 and also is presented as wire connection. Please look at screen:

Maybe any firmware update on router/repeater will resolve such issue? :)

Regards,

Maciej

Options
2021-04-02 07:35:41

@maciejp Hello, 

This weird behavior on tether's wireless client is probably caused by your uncommon network topology. 

You could use RE650X as range extender only and disconnect the cable for a test . 

Please close the app and reopen it after few mins ( client list  takes some time to refresh)after you disconnect the cable, and see the issue will be gone or not. 

Options
2021-04-02 08:00:18

@Solla-topee 

Sure. Once disconnect cable, network topology in Tether is ok.

But it works much better with cable :) Throughput is much better and I don't see any problems (only topology in Tether is wrong).

So, I thought about any changes in firmware for resolve this...

Regards,

Maciej

Options
2021-04-13 10:43:32

@Solla-topee 

Hello,

I confirm - sometimes I have any problem with WiFi stability, then I must reconnect my cable in RE605X and everything works fine again. I have no idea, why and when it happens.

So, imo all I need in my solution is:

1. AP mode on RE650X working in Mesh configuration.

2. Range Extender on RE605X working with cable (also in Mesh config.).

Is it maybe possible/planned in future firmware release?

Regards,

Maciej

Options
2021-04-15 07:37:01 - last edited 2021-04-15 08:49:27

@maciejp 

Thank you for your update, unfortunately we did not hear a plan to support oneMesh in AP Mode, only RE mode supports Onemesh feature.

When RE (AP) does not use OneMesh, clients could still roam between router and AP, but not as fast as oneMesh. I suggest testing AP Mode for certain time. 

If stop using OneMesh does affect your daily network activities, you could consider switching back to RE mode. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1586

Replies: 8

Related Articles