Archer C5 v4 drops Internet connection, then wifi connections 5-10 mins after reboot in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C5 v4 drops Internet connection, then wifi connections 5-10 mins after reboot in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-29 13:26:38 - last edited 2021-03-30 00:43:48
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: I put back into the box for the delivery guy to bring it back, but I can open and check, if it helps

Hello Guys,

I've bought an Archer C5 v4 recently and set it up as an Access Point.

Since I have my ISP router doing the routing and DHCP magic, I just connected them LAN to LAN and set a fix IP in the Archer, which I made sure is excluded from the DHCP range of the ISP router, so no conflict could occur. (Even I tried setting Dynamic IP in the Archer and assigning a fix IP based on MAC address in the ISP router, so I tried some scenarios. ISP assigned the IP as expected.)

The result is the following: I can connect to the Archer via Wifi, if I run ipconfig on my deskop, it looks nice. The gateway is my ISP router, also that gave me an IP address. Both the ISP, the Archer and my deskop are in the same subnet. Internet access works.

However, after 5 or 10 mins the Archer drops the Internet connection. I checked that there is still Internet in the ISP. After another few seconds or minutes the Archer even drops my Wifi connection (not always, but often). Maybe it got frozen and rebooted?

Anyway, after rebooting the Archer, it works again for another 5-10 mins.

It also happened that I was connected via cable to the Archer and suddenly it disappeared. (Windows told me I have no Ethernet connection anymore.)
I was just browsing it's admin interface in Chrome and suddenly it's gone (I was not modifying or saving something, like static IP, I was just browsing around.)
I tried also with latest firmware.

I also tried in router mode. Tried plugging the patch from the ISP into the WAN port of the Archer.

I also tried with another ISP which is from another company. 
Same results.

Very annoying. Any idea?

Thanks,

Mihály

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C5 v4 drops Internet connection, then wifi connections 5-10 mins after reboot in AP mode
2021-03-29 16:38:41 - last edited 2021-03-30 00:43:48

UPDATE: I could get it working by using it in its Router Mode. Using it as an Access Point still has the above issue.

Options
Re:Archer C5 v4 drops Internet connection, then wifi connections 5-10 mins after reboot in AP mode
2021-03-29 20:02:42 - last edited 2021-03-30 00:43:48

@mtringel well, in Router Mode it worked for two hours, then dropped the Internet connection and the wifi connections. (It was a next-next-finish installation, I didn't change a thing.)

After reconnecting through Wifi the Network tab shows Internet Status: Disconnected. But there is Internet in the ISP router.

After rebooting the Archer it worked for a few mins, then the same thing happened. :(

Options
2021-03-30 09:46:29

@mtringel 

What is the model number of the ISP router, is there any special setting like blacklist or access control on it? You may need to exclude those special settings on the ISP router to allow the connection between the Archer C5 and the ISP router.

How about other devices in the network, are they all working fine when connecting to the ISP router network? What if you disable the Wi-Fi on the ISP router, only leave the Wi-Fi broadcasting on the C5, will it help?

You are also suggested making the Archer C5 as the main router if that is possible, then confirm if it can connect stably. If that gives you a stable connection, then there might be some special setting on the ISP router that cut it off from the network, you can contact the ISP to confirm.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 578

Replies: 3

Related Articles