Archer C9 v5 AP mode stops giving out DHCP addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-29 14:10:43 - last edited 2021-03-29 14:13:58
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Archer C9, when setup as a AP, with an upstream router/ modem, stops wireless clients from receiving DHCP addresses from upstream DHCP server after a few hours.

Have tried to configure the AP as DHCP client and also with static IP address, but the problem persists. In the DHCP client mode, I can see the  AP requesting DHCP address from upstream DHCP server every few seconds.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C9 v5 AP mode stops giving out DHCP addresses
2021-03-31 07:44:33

@ad19 

What is the model number of the upstream router/ modem? 

How about other devices in the network, are they all working fine when connecting to the upstream router/ modem network directly? What if you disable the Wi-Fi on the ISP router, only leave the Wi-Fi broadcasting on the C9, will it help?

You are also suggested making the Archer C9 as the main router if that is possible, then confirm if it can connect stably. If that gives you a stable connection, then there might be some special setting on the upstream router/ modem that cut it off from the network, you can contact the router support to confirm.

Options
2021-03-31 08:41:06

@Kevin_Z 

The upstream router is Linksys EA8300 running OpenWRT. I have also tried this setup with the upstream router as Linksys WRT3200 running on dd-wrt. All wireless clients work fine with the upstream routers.

The issue is only with Archer C9 connecting to the upstream routers. Archer C9 cannot be made the upstream router as it does not have good bandwidth management and policy features that OpenWRT or dd-wrt provide and Tp-link does not allow open source firmware on Archer C9 v5. So I guess I am stuck with a dud.

Options
2021-03-31 11:50:25

@ad19 

Check this guide to manually configure it into AP mode again, and set a static IP address for it, ensure the static IP is in the same IP subnet of the Linksys:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/417/

Options
2021-03-31 15:15:33

@Kevin_Z 

Looks like you did not read my initial problem statement.

Have already tried setting up the Archer C9 with static address. Even that stops working after some time.

Options
2021-04-01 08:35:43

@ad19 

Sorry. To locate this issue and try to fix it, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Options
2021-04-05 13:16:16

@Kevin_Z 

Logs shared on email with Sarah Xiao.

Options
2021-04-06 01:15:42

@ad19 

Hi, I found Sarah Xiao did send yo, while it seems there is no reply from you, can you please send the system log again via email?

Options
2021-04-06 03:17:55

@Kevin_Z 

Resent.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 8