Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

Votes

Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings

153 Reply
Re:Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2022-03-31 13:39:22

David-TP wrote

@BenVA thank you for your patience.

No, there hasn't been any update about this feature yet and I am afraid it is on a very lower priority.

best regards.

Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least now it's clear that TP-Link's not waiting for user input.

I guess we won't be seeing this feature to be added anytime soon.

Thanks for the clear answer though.

Options
2022-03-31 14:19:52

@BenVA Ah, it takes some time to read through the post. Ads blocking via customized DNS is not something I am capable of. 

I think if they could adjust their logic and did not let guest network consider the DNS server as one of the host client, like they did to the LAN IP, things would be much easier.

Anyway this is what I think, not sure if it is realistic.

Options
2022-03-31 21:55:38

Yes, I agree with the other posters here.  The use case scenarios have been clearly described, as have the shortcomings in the current Guest network settings.  Very sad and disappointing to see no progress on this request: like others, the reality is that I won't buy TP-Link kit in the future because of this.

Options
2022-03-31 22:04:13

@stephen55 I think I'm with you here. I've bought my last TP-Link Router. I'd much rather find something that is more configurable for how I want to run my home network. Although, I just got some new decos, I may just start my search again. 

Options
[Recommended Solution]Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2022-04-25 03:13:45
I would very much like this feature for the pi-hole use case. Took me a while to figure out this was the issue setting up a new device on the guest network.
Options
[Recommended Solution]Feature Request - Guest Network separate DHCP/DNS settings
2022-04-25 09:24:08

@bigmik1021 

bigmik1021 wrote

I would very much like this feature for the pi-hole use case. Took me a while to figure out this was the issue setting up a new device on the guest network.

Even though this request is in the "top 3" that @David-TP recently posted, for some reason they're not considering this to be a good feature to be added.

Options
2022-04-25 09:50:43

Hi all, please leave a reply in the "Top 3 topic (https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/539546)" to suggest the Guest Network DNS issue to be included on the roadmap, as pointed out bij @BenVA

Options
2022-04-25 13:21:53

@richpriest I would very much appreciate this feature as I also use a Pi-hole. 

Options
2022-05-04 21:21:28 - last edited 2022-05-04 21:52:07

@TP-Link 

Since the guest network is already separated from the host network by VLAN,  the request for separate DHCP settings under guest has not been approved.

Please tell me this is a joke.

In all seriousness, how are you going to assign different DNS servers to the two networks without having different DHCP scopes?  I'm not going to make any assumptions about the internal deco network stack, but if something is going to be inspecting the DHCP request to determine what DNS information to respond with, clearly that thing can also select from two unqiue subnets for an IP to hand out.

And, since everything needs a use-case to justify we can say, oh... a device someone want's to multihome on both networks? Like say... a media server on their LAN that also offers up content on the guest VLAN they use for IOT devices? Becuase that won't work if both networks use the same subnet. How in the world would the device create a routing table?

Or, how about just plain sanity? No network admin in their right mind wants to see the same subnet spanning two different virtual network segments.

Options
2022-05-04 21:45:21
Seriously TP-Link? That's it then. You've exhausted my patient. I'm returning my unit tomorrow. You don't care about your customer base at all. What a joke.
Options

Voters 85

+ 81 Voters