Is there a path to upgrade my TL-WPA8630 - or should I just chuck it in the bin?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is there a path to upgrade my TL-WPA8630 - or should I just chuck it in the bin?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-03 10:48:05
Model: TL-WPA8630 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20190910 Rel.49754

I have a TL-WPA8630 kit v2.0 which has been suffering from crashes since the day I bought  it. Firstly the Poweline network dropped out every few days, which was fixed after updating the PL firmware. Now, the WiFi crashes after a couple of weeks: The 5GHz network dies completely and the 2.4GHz network still broadcasts but refuses to connect.

So I thought I'd completely get rid of the crappy TPLINK firmware and put OpenWRT on there. This is when I check the firmware [2.0.3 Build 20190910 Rel.49754] and find it's not supported. "No: Same Model (SupportList entry) with different partition layouts. Problematic OS/filesystem split, may never be supported. Don't upgrade to this stock version!"

Is there any way of getting this WPA8630 to a state where I can get OpenWRT loaded, i.e. by replacing with another firmware prior to reflashing to OpenWRT  - or have I just bought a complete dog of a product destined to end up in landfill?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 481

Replies: 0