Using a static ip address for a device connected to the range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-05 11:12:38
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have a Raspberry Pi in my greenhouse running an irrigation system. I run a server on the pi, and control the irrigation through a web interface. 

I have now upgraded my router, but its wifi signal isn't as powerful as the old router. So I bought a range extender to go between the router and the pi. I can access the pi's server just fine on an internal network, but I want to be able to access it from outside. Previously I had a static IP address set up on the old router that directed http requests to the pi.

Is is possible to set up the pi with a static IP address? I can't see anywhere on the TPLinkRepeater web interface that I could use to set that up.

Thanks in advance.

John

Options
1 Reply
Re:Using a static ip address for a device connected to the range extender
2021-04-09 08:55:55 - last edited 2021-04-09 09:00:21

@pir8ped Hello, 

It should be possible.  But you will find you could not see  client's real MAC address on your router, as Range extender (newer version) will create a virtual MAC address for the client behind it.  You need to reserve an IP address for your Raspberry Pi using the Virtual MAC address. 

You can easily find the client’s virtual MAC address (52:C7:BE:57:AD:E1) by comparing to its real MAC address (94:DE:80:57:AD:E1) Last 6 digits are the same. 

Here is a related FAQ that may help: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2019/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1442

Replies: 1