3 M5's - AP mode operation - do all 3 M5's need to be in AP?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-06 04:37:28 - last edited 2021-04-06 04:51:04
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Hi All,

• I setup the first of 3 Deco M5's as per the instructions (connected M5 (1) in AP mode). I was able to connect to the new SSID/Wireless network with no issues.
  • I connected M5 #2 in another location via Ethernet with the intention of also using it in AP mode. The setup worked and I can connect to M5 #2 via Ethernet and Wi-Fi.
  • I will repeat this for M5 #3 via Ethernet once agian.

My first question is - As long as the Main Deco is in AP mode, will all newly connected M5's act as AP's? I cannot access the new M5 #2 or #3 to change their operation mode like I did with the M5 #1. I assume that as long as the M5 #1 is in AP operation, the #2 and #3 cannot be in router mode.

My second question - I am able to configure this network as per diagram 3 found here: HERE
Is there a benefit to have the my WAN connection routed through a switch to feed individual M5's?

TL;DR - Do I need to change each Deco to AP mode? If so how do I do it?

Cheers

Options
2 Reply
Re:3 M5's - AP mode operation - do all 3 M5's need to be in AP?
2021-04-06 07:30:53

@TheMob 

Hi, it is recommended to set up the whole kit under wireless router mode first, then switch to access point mode altogether;

As for the two diagrams, they are almost the same considering the wireless speed and stability;

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:3 M5's - AP mode operation - do all 3 M5's need to be in AP?
2021-04-06 09:20:53
Thanks for the reply. I will leave the switch out. Many thanks.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 323

Replies: 2

Related Articles