[Deco M5] Have a WIRED device connected to my GUEST network? How? Why? Huh?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-07 17:25:41 - last edited 2021-04-07 18:26:32
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

I noticed recently a device was on my GUEST network (which has a different password etc and isolated from the main network). This device is my HP 9020 printer which is WIRED to my network.

Indeed, in the Deco phone app, I can see this device (on the GUEST network) says it's wired (to the main Deco).

HOW can a WIRED device be on the GUEST network?

Why isn't this device listed as being on my main network, which is the case? I've even taken the ethernet cable out of it and ensured its wifi is the main wifi network, before then connecting the ethernet back in.

I've updated the M5s to the latest firmware. Rebooted the router and M5s. Stays the same!

The M5s are in AP mode, with INTERNET --> ROUTER (no wifi) --> M5 (main) --> Switch --> All my network.

So everything goes through the main M5.

Note: Printer works fine!

EDIT: Turned the GUEST network off (other devices can no longer see it). And 5+ mins later, even after turning the printer off/on, I still have it connected to the GUEST network?

EDIT: If I get the printer to connect over the main wireless network, it then appears on the main network and not GUEST. Push the ethernet lead back in. Straight back into GUEST network (as a wired device).

Options
20 Reply
Re:[Deco M5] Have a WIRED device connected to my GUEST network? How? Why? Huh?
2021-04-08 01:25:50 - last edited 2021-04-08 01:48:30

@NeilF 

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

Can I have pictures that the printer is cognized as the wired device to the guest network?

May I know the model number of the network switch as well?--if possible, can I have some pictures or a configuration file of the switch, such as VLAN settings?

As for the network map, how about the two satellite Decos? Are they also connected behind the switch via cable?

If possible, please go to Overview>settings on the top left>help>contact us>suggestions and add the system log and sent to us;

By the way, Did you have different SSIDs/ network names on the main network with the guest network?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-08 09:26:34 - last edited 2021-04-08 09:47:36

@TP-Link 

Here's the information you've asked for:-

Picture printer is wired device on GUEST network

Model of Switch

Note: The Sky Router is connected straight to the STUDY DECO M5, which is then connected directly to the switch in question. Other devices and switches then feed off that switch...

Network Map

As mentioned before:-

Sky Router --ethernet--> Deco M5 (Study) --ethernet--> Switch --ethernet--> Printer (& all other wired devices and other switches etc)

The other two Deco M5s (kitchen & hallway) are not wired, and have nothing wired to them.

Main & Guest SSIDs

Yes, different names and different password.

System Log

I'll attempt to follow your instructions, and update this section if I was successful or not after posting this response.

EDIT: I couldn't follow your instructions ("Overview>settings on the top left>help>contact us>suggestions and add the system log and sent to us") so I've attached a file of the default "NOTICE" system logs at the bottom of this post. If you want other logs let me know...

Misc.

The entire network has been rebooted and even a firmware upgrade to the latest version applied. No difference! Indeed we even had a power cut this week, meaning everything was power cycled.

Couple more images from Deco web app and Sky router web app:-

System ("NOTICE") Logs

Attached NOTICE logs...

File:
tp log-2021-04-08.log.txtDownload
Options
2021-04-09 07:01:43 - last edited 2021-04-09 07:04:21

@NeilF 

Hi, I have already forward your case to the senior engineers, and did you get my email?

And did the Deco M5 work on the wireless router mode, or access point mode?

Since there are multiple wired clients on the switch, the HP printer was the only device that was recognized as the guest device, right?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-09 07:43:25 - last edited 2021-04-09 07:44:23

@TP-Link 

Yes, I have received and replied to an email thank you...

The Deco M5 is in Access Point mode...

No other wired devices have appeared on GUEST. The only other devices that have appeared on GUEST are wireless devices told to do so...

Options
2021-04-12 11:09:15 - last edited 2021-04-12 11:10:11

@TP-Link @NeilF I have the same issue: one of my wired devices is shown as connected to the Guest network. Did you get a fix for this?

Maybe noteworthy that this wired device (as are the other wired devices) has a fixed IP Address. Also, I am able to connect to this device from the non-guest network.

Options
2021-04-12 11:20:37 - last edited 2021-04-12 13:20:14

@FlixP Still waiting for TP Link to come back with all the information I've supplied.

My issue with a device on the GUEST network is just a wired in printer with dynamic IP address. Working perfectly on the main network (ie: Is seemingly not on the GUEST network in reality).

I recon it's a Deco app/software issue, and the device is on the main network correctly, but just shown on GUEST incorrectly...

Options
2021-04-13 10:07:05 - last edited 2021-04-13 10:07:54

As an expirement at the request of TP-LINK, I plugged nothing more than the printer in question to the Deco, and it still appeared as a GUEST.

ie: --Internet--> Sky Router --ethernet--> Deco M5 --ethernet--> HP Printer

So all other wired devices disappeared off the network. Wireless devices still worked. But the single wired in HP Printer still appeared as a wired in device on GUEST.

Options
2021-04-14 11:51:58

@FlixP 

Hi, thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Could you please share your network topology as well?---if there is any network switch, please help me find the model number of the switch, thank you.

And what is this wired device by the way?

Options
2021-04-14 13:07:30 - last edited 2021-04-14 13:08:25

@TP-Link 

The device appearing on the guest network is a synology diskstation with a fixed ip.

My network:

Cable router with DHCP (192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.250)

|

Switch TL-SG108   

|

|-- DECO M5 (Main, AP mode)

|

|-- Solaredge, wired (wired, appears on main network, dynamic IP)

|-- zigbee hub, wired (wired, appears on main network, dynamic IP)

|

Switch TL-SG108E   

|

|-- DECO M5 (AP mode)

|

|-- PC Ubuntu 18 (wired, appears on main network, static IP  192.168.0.20)

|-- Laptop (wired, appears on main network, dynamic IP)

|-- Synlogy diskstation (wired, appears on main GUEST network, static IP  192.168.0.11)

Wireless clients like phones, google hub, chromecast, wii etc, all appearing on main network

Options
2021-04-15 01:03:27

@FlixP 

Thank you very much and I have forwarded your case to the senior engineers.

Please feel free to update the email.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 4968

Replies: 20