How time limit calculated in parental control setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-09 09:49:38
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.7 Build 210308 Rel.60033n

Hi,

I have just bought Archer C80 and did parental control setting.

I set my son's tab having this kind of time control: 2 hours online time limitation and 9pm-5am bedtime.

Sometime, when he woke up at 8am and started playing with his tab, internet connection was not working although his tab still connected to wifi.

I need to toggle wifi connection and it worked again. I thought it was caused by 2 hours limitation, since tab started online again since 5am after bedtime ended.

So when my son started online game at 8am, it had already reached the limit.

I was wondering how router calculated 2 hours time limit, it is calculated by accumulative time when there is internet traffic goes through the tab, or by accumulative time when tab just connect to the wifi network (even though no internet traffic goes there) ?

Options
6 Reply
Re:How time limit calculated in parental control setting
2021-04-09 18:30:19

@thg 

https://www.tp-link.com/pl/support/faq/2545/

or 

https://hetmanrecovery.com/recovery_news/how-to-set-up-parental-controls-on-a-tp-link-router-from-a-computer-or-smartphone.htm

or 

https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-parental-controls-on-a-tp-link-router-12267

Poland
Options
2021-04-10 01:33:33

@jimas Thanks for the info, although my router type has different user interface with what it show on your link you shared. 

I do understand how to set parental control and what it means.

I am wondering how control mechanism between time limit and bedtime, and then how router calculate online time limit.

in the time control, there are 2 settings to be defined:

1. Bed time: I am aware that during this period time, internet access will be restricted at all for those devices attached to this profile.

2. Time limit: it is described as daily time limit for total time spent online.

So, if I set bedtime for 10pm-5am, no internet traffic at all during that period, and I can confirm it is working well.

And then beyond bedtime period, when internet allowed, my question is how router calculate defined time limit: is it measuring total time when internet traffic come & go, or total time when a device attached to wifi? How does it work? As my experience, time limit is not always working as expected.

Options
2021-04-11 08:37:21

@arman_1397 Those are questions for TP-Link Support or firmware developers. Sorry I can't give you a satisfaction answer

Poland
Options
2021-04-12 07:07:34

Thanks @jimas for your advice.

@arman_1397 As per your parental control settings on the C80 web UI, the devices in the profile will have 1 hours internet time out of the bedtime, which means your son's tab should be able to access the internet from 05:00am-22:00pm for 1 hour. What we assume is that what if the tab has used up the 1 hour during 05:00-08:00am, is that possible? Please confirm this first.

BTW, where did you 'toggle wifi connection', do you mean switch off the Wi-Fi on the C80, or switch off the Wi-Fi on the tab?

Meanwhile, what if you disable the Time Limit for the profile, and only leave the Bed Time on, will the tab be able to access the internet correctly? Please always ensure the time settings on the C80 is correct.

Options
2021-04-12 08:53:35

Hi @Kevin_Z thank for the response,

I was playing around parental setting lately, I put also my Ipad along with my kid tab (Xiaomi Mipad 4) just to check what its behavior 

So here what my findings:

- bed time is working perfectly, both could not access internet during defined time

- when bed time is passed, my Ipad able to access internet, while mipad4 remain could not access internet. I need to toggle wifi connection on Mipad then I got internet access back. So I think the issue on Mipad. Then I used both to watch Netflix, around next an hour, both ipad and mipad4 could not access. Time limitation is working well.

- I put also my iphone and samsung galaxy to the time control profile, just to make sure. I found parental setting working flawlessly on both phone.

Therefore, I conclude that parental control on C80 is working well.

There might be some devices out there that are not working flawlessly with parental control feature like what I got with Mipad4. But it is not a big deal for me.

Thank you

Options
2021-04-12 09:05:09

@arman_1397 

Got that. We will also report this unusual case to the engineers, and let's see if they have some clue about it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1216

Replies: 6